We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling for Christmas with my family

ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling for Christmas with my family

Hi all i was just wondering if anyone can give us guidance for chicago on christmas day. Is there any place open we are staying in the Inter Continental. Cheers

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
582 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling for Christmas with my family

You would have to be more specific. What kind of "place" are you looking for?

ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling for Christmas with my family

I wish to know about what shops might be open and also were to eat locally if possible. Also if there are any attractions open.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling for Christmas with my family

Our family visited the Garfield Park Conservatory on Christmas Day last year. There was a beautiful holiday display with lots of lights and poinsettias. The Conservatory is not downtown - you would take the green line to get there.

http://www.garfield-conservatory.org/

Mentioned in this post
Garfield Park Conservatory
Garfield Park...
645 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,244 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling for Christmas with my family

Here's a list of restaurants from last year - thelocaltourist.com/restaurants/restxmas.htm

Most retail shops will be closed.

Many Asian restaurants will be open. Take the CTA red line north to Argyle.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling for Christmas with my family

My husband and I are also planning on being in Chicago on Christmas day and we are planning on a carriage ride down Magnificent Mile to look at all the lights. I would check with your hotel concierge desk to make sure the companies don't have a really long wait time. I emailed Chicago Carriages and was told they run on Christmas day but she didn't tell me the hours. Handsome cabs are usually a little on the pricey side but since it will be Christmas we thought it was worth it for us and if we go in the evening it will be beautiful. Their web site will give you directions there and there are special rides you can set up in advance if you want.

http://www.chicagocarriage.com/

If you are looking for a place for dinner most of the hotels have their restaurants open. There are also a lot of independent places that will be open as well.

Have a wonderful time!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,351 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling for Christmas with my family

Shops will mostly be closed, except for a drugstore or convenience store here and there. Nearly all the hotels will have meals available - you might do a search for Christmas dinner and see what appeals to you. Typically, reservations are required.

Some museums and attractions will be open, but most will be closed; there is a good list of museum links at www.choosechicago.com, which also can answer many other tourist questions.

The area where you are staying will be remarkably quiet. A carriage ride sounds lovely; you might want to ride or walk among the Gold Coast houses between Division Street and Lincoln Park. Or, walk downtown to the Loop and look at the Christmas windows and decorations without the usual noise and crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling for Christmas with my family

thank you for your comments they are much appreciated.

chicago
Level Contributor
559 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling for Christmas with my family

Dublins and Bijan are 2 of the few restaurants typically open Christmas Day. A few more options will open in the evenging.

http://www.bijansbistro.com/

9. Re: Travelling for Christmas with my family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 15:21