We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which show with a 13 year old boy? - choice of 4

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which show with a 13 year old boy? - choice of 4

I'd love to take in a show when I'm in Chicago next weekend, but I need something that will appeal to my son (who prefers sport). I've narrowed the choices down to:

Lion King (assuming I can get tickets) - but my son pulled his nose up at this. I think he' s outgrown the Disney years.

Wicked. I've never heard of this before. Is it teen boy friendly?

Blue Man Group. This is my fall-back, only problem being that both my son and I saw this show last year in Boston. Does anyone know if this show is any different to the Boston one?

Romeo & Juliet spoof thingy. This sounds great to me but again my son isn't too keen on experiencing anything with a Shakespeare theme (reminds him too much of school I think).

Any help anyone can give would be gratefully appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which show with a 13 year old boy? - choice of 4

1st choice - Blue Man Group - I think he's most likely to approve of this choice, even though he might ultimately enjoy all the others. Lion King would be a good second choice, followed by the Romeo & Juliet spoof, followed by Wicked. I think Wicked is more likely to appeal to girls in his age group.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which show with a 13 year old boy? - choice of 4

Blue Man Group. Don't even spend any more time considering your other choices.

If not that, try a show an early show at Second City. If you do, however, and depending on your 13-year old's maturity level, you may want to check with the box office about language or content.

But, again, Blue Man is perfect for a 13-year old.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
660 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which show with a 13 year old boy? - choice of 4

Blue Man Group would be the best choice.

Also, Second City is a very good, as well as some of the other comedy groups, such as I.O. (formerly known as ImprovOlympic) and ComedySportz.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,675 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which show with a 13 year old boy? - choice of 4

In case you haven't already made your decision, I would suggest Second City's Romeo and Juliet spoof. I took my son (13 years old) to see it last year and he LOVED it. My son definitely is NOT a lover of Shakespeare, but he thought this show was great. (You don't need to know anything about Romeo and Juliet to appreciate this play.) I thought it was one of the funniest and most clever plays I have ever seen and afterwards, my son told me that the play was the highlight of his trip to Chicago.

I might also add that the tickets were only about $25 as I remember, so it didn't break the bank. (I had looked at Blue Man Group too, but I thought their tickets were too expensive.)

We also went to see Second City at their theatre and he enjoyed this as well, although not as much as the Romeo and Juliet spoof. I though their show was perfectly OK for a 13-year-old.