We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
1 post
Save Topic
Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

Hi we are going to Chicago for 6 days in the last week of March and were wondering what weather to expect and clothing required, any suggestions? Also we would like to do a boat trip on the river to see the bulidings etc but many websites seem to state that they don't commence operation until April. Anyone know of any companies operating in March? Am soooo excited about hols and have tickets to see the Bulls and Blackhawks as hubby is big sports fan. we are staying at Affinia Hotel. Any suggestions on best way to get to United Center?

Thanks in advance to help. xx

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

To/from the United Center - transitchicago.com/riding_cta/busroute.aspx…

There's a trip planner function on the homepage of - http://www.transitchicago.com

A CTA visitor pass might come in handy for your visit. You can order them ahead of time.

The average temperature in March is 45° F (7° C). It might rain and/or snow. It's still too cool for a boat ride.

Level Contributor
239 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

I might have been to Chicago when it wasn't cold, once, but it is ALWAYS windy. It will still feel quite cold in March, so take your coat. If it is warmish you might get by with a jacket. Layers are always best. I wore a spring belted trench last year for St. patricks day, over a sweater and it was cold! I even wished for gloves. That is why there are no boat tours in March. The architecture boat tour is very interesting, maybe you can come back in summer. Enjoy the sporting events, sounds fun!!

3. Re: Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2009, 13:35
Chicago
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

I am a charter boat captain. It is pretty cold still by the last week of March and the lake wont be super friendly until April. I would advise you to do a river trip that would show you the city but also keep you off of the big lake if you want to get on the water

Captain Ian Stewart

www.salukispride.com

Chicago
Level Contributor
829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

The average high temp for the last week in March is about 50 F, but it could be 35 F or it could be 65 F (like today!!), so bring some options. March is often wet and windy. Downtown tends to be more windy than the rest of the city as the buildings form canyons that the wind whips through.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

Start watching the weather a few days before you arrive, but always bring hat, coat and gloves at that time of year - weather here is very changeable, it can be damp and cool, kind of like I remember London being the one time I was there in the winter, and it can even snow. On the other hand it could be nice like yesterday and today (sunny, temperatures in the 60's).

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

I just looked and the water taxi is supposed to start March 16 - not a tour but does go along the river. See chicagowatertaxi.com.

8. Re: Clothing last wk of March & boat trips available?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 02:16