We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lombard to Union Station

Pune, India
12 posts
Save Topic
Lombard to Union Station

I was looking at the Metra schedule from Lombard to Chicago. But i see the end station of Union Pacific West Line ends at Ogilvie Transportation Center. I just want to know is it far from the Union Station ? and if so is there any way to go to Union Station. What i remember is Sears Tower is at walking distance from the station.

I plan to travel there on the 4th July weekend.

Will appreciate if i get any suggestions.

Thanks

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lombard to Union Station

Ogilve (or Northwestern Station) is only one block from an entrance to Union Station. If you exit Ogilve just walk out the front entrance on Madison Street, walk across the street look at the SE corner and you will see an entrance to Union Station (go down the stairs). If you are connecting to an Amtrak train walk the length of the tracks go through the sliding glass doors and look for the signs for the Amtrak waiting area. If you are connecting to a Metra train look at the monitors for the gate and you can ask any station employee for directions.

If you are connecting trains leave at least 30 minutes to connect, depending what part of Union Station you have to leave from this could be a walk.

Remember if you are traveling over a holiday weekend there are special train schedules on many Metra Routes so check the Metra Web Site before traveling.

Sears (now Willis) Tower is just a few blocks walk (just look up to the East you can't miss it :)

Have a great trip on the 4th

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lombard to Union Station

Where in Lombard are you coming from? The hotels on the south side of Lombard are just as close to the Downers Grove Main Street train station as they are to the Lombard station. The BNSF line runs through Downers Grove and ends at Union Station.

http://www.metrarail.com/Sched/bn/bn.shtml

Pune, India
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lombard to Union Station

Is Downers Grove Main Street train station different than Metra train Station on north of S Finley St ?

In the link u posted...i did not see the Lombard station name so was wondering.

Pune, India
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lombard to Union Station

Hi TrentinChicago

Thank u so much for your suggestions.

Looking forward to have a great weekend there :))

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,155 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lombard to Union Station

$5 holiday ticket for Metra - metrarail.com/Special_Promotions/July/taste_…

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lombard to Union Station

The Downers Grove Main Street train station is located at 5001 Main Street. It is about three miles directly south of the Yorktown Shopping Center. (Yorktown is located on Highland Avenue, and Highland becomes Main Street - you just stay on the same street.)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lombard to Union Station

The Metra Union Pacific West Line runs through Lombard on its way to the Ogilvie Transportation Center. The BNSF line runs through Downers Grove on its way to Union Station. If you are staying in one of the hotels near Yorktown Center, you will be between the two stations. I’m not familiar with the Lombard station, but there is free parking close to the tracks in Downers Grove on weekends. There are extra express trains from DG Main Street on July 4th (see Dave’s link) that will get you to Chicago in 30 minutes. Have a good trip!

Pune, India
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lombard to Union Station

Hey IlliniTrav

Thank you so much for the updates.

Am sure it will surely me !

9. Re: Lombard to Union Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 07:16