We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attending Solheim Cup - Travel into Chicago

Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Attending Solheim Cup - Travel into Chicago

My friend and I will be attending the Solheim Cup from August 19-23. We would like to come into Chicago for good food and some nightlife. What is the best travel method from Sugar Grove and/or Saint Charles? We will have a rental car, but we are not sure we want to drive in Chicago...or spend the money to park there. Does a train come through this part of the state? Or would it be practical to park the rental at a station in Oak Park or somewhere outside the city? Thanks for your help!

Chicago Detours
Night Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Chicago Magic Lounge
Bars & Clubs, Performances
Kingston Mines
Blues Clubs & Bars
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attending Solheim Cup - Travel into Chicago

Metra trains will get you downtown from the suburbs. You can catch the train in Elburn. http://metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_w/cnw_w.shtml

Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attending Solheim Cup - Travel into Chicago

Thanks for the information, Dave! Do you think the METRA is the best way to go, then? Do you need to make reservations or can you buy tickets at the stations? I didn't realize it would take nearly 1.5 hrs to get downtown!!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attending Solheim Cup - Travel into Chicago

You do not need reservations. It's a commuter train. Yes, you are quite a distance from downtown. If you plan to drive downtown, parking's expensive.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attending Solheim Cup - Travel into Chicago

Note that the suburban train stations are normally closed for ticket sales after the a.m. rush. In that case, you just buy your tickets from the conductor on the train.

However, on the return trip you need to buy your tickets in the downtown station or you'll pay $2 surcharge/ticket on the train.

Utah
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attending Solheim Cup - Travel into Chicago

Great information, Cliff and Dave! Although I don't like checking train schedules or waiting for trains to arrive, this may be better than sitting in rush hour traffic and then looking for parking. If we have dinner at 8 and look for a train around 10, would we have some luck? Is the downtown station close to Michigan Avenue shopping and/or Shaw's Crabhouse? Thanks!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attending Solheim Cup - Travel into Chicago

"If we have dinner at 8 and look for a train around 10, would we have some luck? Is the downtown station close to Michigan Avenue shopping and/or Shaw's Crabhouse? Thanks!"

The previous link I gave you has the train schedule. You're better off taking a cab from Shaw's or Michigan Ave to the train station.

7. Re: Attending Solheim Cup - Travel into Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2010, 06:18