We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

Netherlands
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

Hi, I would like to ask what is the best way to go from Chicago ( Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown) to Oak Brook. I am planning to do this 4th Jan.

How much does taxi/bus/train can cost? And is het easy for single woman?

Thanks in advance

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

The closest train station to Oakbrook is in Hinsdale, a town just south of Oakbrook. You'll need to take a cab from there to your destination in Oakbrook.

Metra trains operate between downtown and Hinsdale - http://metrarail.com/Sched/bn/bn.shtml - current one way fare is $3.80

Flat rate (no meter) taxi - $43 - http://americantaxi.com/ - you need to make a reservation to be picked up from your hotel downtown. Do not take a Chicago taxi to Oakbrook. It will be very expensive - meter + 50%.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

Hi, Thanks for your quick response. Ive checked via google, and distance between OakBrook and Hinsdale is around 5miles. How much can taxi cost?

Is this hotel far away from station?

And most of all is it safe?

Again thanks in advance

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

"Ive checked via google, and distance between OakBrook and Hinsdale is around 5miles. How much can taxi cost?

Is this hotel far away from station?

And most of all is it safe?"

Cab fare from Hinsdale to Oakbrook - around $15 - there should be a cab stand (rank) at the train station.

The HS downtown is in a safe area. You will see lots of people out in the area.

From the HS to Union Station - at the corner of Michigan & Illinois, catch a southbound CTA #151 bus. Get off at Adams & Canal.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

Is Oakbrook worth to see? Just for one day.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

IMO - no. Unless you want to visit a suburban shopping mall - http://www.oakbrookcenter.com/html/index7.asp

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

I don't know that it would be worth it to visit Oak Brook for a day in January, especially without a car.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,946 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

Agree with above two posters.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
524 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

There is nothing touristy to see in Oak Brook. If you're coming out to shop, the mall is very nice but most of the shops can be found on Michigan Avenue. The lower sales tax in Oak Brook would be offset by the transportation costs.

If you have to be in Oak Brook anyway, then the mall would be worth a visit.

Downtown Hinsdale itself would be fun for an hour or so - it's trying to remake itself into a shopping destination and there are several unique shops. There, I did my bit for the Chamber of Commerce!

Hinsdale and Oak Brook are completely safe. There are often taxis waiting at the Hinsdale station, but I think they are pre-arranged.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

You can also take the blue line train to Forest Park and take one bus to Oakbrook. Total cost 4.00. Time, about one hour. Check with your hotel in OB to see if they offer a ride to the Metra train station.

Oakbrook is trendy, lots of shopping and restaurants/bars. I don't really reccomend it for a tourist, although Oakbrook Center is nice, but it's not an enclosed mall.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi/bus/train from Chicago to Oak Brook

Thanks. Do you know internet site for bus? I would like to check this option.