We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago Trip Report: Restaurants

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago Trip Report: Restaurants

I spent a week in Chicago in July and thought I'd share my thoughts on some of the places I ate at. A wide range of experiences, from the ever-popular Billy Goat to Charlie Trotter's!

El Tapatio (Edge of Roscoe Village)

Dropped in here for my Mexican fix (I'm American, living in London) and was HUGELY disappointed. Stale chips. Old steak in the tacos. Wanted to yell "Do over!!!" I would not go here again. (Our original plan was to go to a newer Mexican place around Ashland but it was closed on Mondays. Starts with an M? Can't remember name.) Photos and more details, etc. here: londonelicious.com/dining/2009/08/el-tapatio…

Petterino's (Loop)

This strikes me as a business lunch or pre-theatre place. HUGE menu. Chatty service, although it was slow when we were there. The most memorable thing about this meal was the bread basket, which is both good and bad. In short, I don't know if I would go again. More details, etc. here: londonelicious.com/dining/2009/08/petterinos…

Charlie Trotter's

A big disappointment. If you don't go out to eat a lot, this will be a very special experience for you. But if you go out to eat a lot like I do, you may not be so impressed. The food, for the most part, missed that wow factor. (Um, except for when I got the bill for $275 for two and we had only had one glass of wine and one glass of kir royale each.) But at least I've crossed it off my list. Very clean bathroom. Lovely, formal service.

londonelicious.com/dining/2009/08/charlie-tr…

Perennial (Lincoln Park)

I really liked the vibe at Perennial and the decor. Modern, fresh. Earthy. Also, great outdoor area (although lots of traffic.) I thought the food, while interesting, was not as tastily compelling as I would have liked. Very nice focus on local sourcing, however, which is great to see. If I were in the area, I'd try this again.

londonelicious.com/dining/2009/08/perennial-…

Terzo Piano (Art Institute)

This was probably my favorite spot. I just loved the room--big, white, airy. Service was pretty sharp. Nice lunch menu. I particularly liked the mini lamb burger in my trio of lamb burgers, but could have passed on the shrimp burger. I would definitely visit again.

londonelicious.com/dining/2009/08/terzo-pian…

Billy Goat

I've been going to the Billy Goat for years, but this is the first time I had breakfast at the Billy Goat under Michigan Avenue. It was cheap--$4.50--and I have to say that it was goddarn good! Crispy bacon, toasted bun. I was very pleased! A must visit if you like cheap and cheerful and a little dirty.

londonelicious.com/dining/2009/08/billy-goat…

Hope some of you find this helpful. In short, I will always go back to the Billy Goat and I would definitely recommend Terzo Piano.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago Trip Report: Restaurants

Thanks for the report. Read your review of Trotters. The price is a shocker. We dined at their kitchen table once, years ago, and Charlie was actually working in the kitchen that night. He's intense as you can imagine.

Never been to Billy Goat. Need to give them a try sometime.

Nice blog.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago Trip Report: Restaurants

Suburbanite, if you do go to Billy Goat, make sure you order a double "cheezborger", the single was awful, so awful that I never went back to retry a double. They shouldn't even sell a single, there was so little meat that I wasn't even sure I was eating a hamburger.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago Trip Report: Restaurants

That was great reading! Thanks so much.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago Trip Report: Restaurants

Thanks for the reports! I've got Terzo Piano on my list now since I really want to check out the Art Institute remodel. And I've always just been so-so about trying Billy Goat. I like GOOD burgers and couldn't make myself waste a Chciago meal on a Billy Goat burger. But cheap, cheerful, and a little dirty for breakfast? With bacon? Now that sounds just about perfect. :)

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago Trip Report: Restaurants

LoveChicago, a double it will be then. Thanks for the tip

Was not aware Billy Goat had a breakfast menu. Next time we are on a weekend getaway on that end, might give them a try.

6. Re: Chicago Trip Report: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 07:17