We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CTA Safety Questions

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
CTA Safety Questions

Two quick questions on safety...

Going to the Annoyance Theatre Saturday night. Will I be safe taking red line from Lawrence back to Chicago around 10pm?

Also, on a different trip, if I took the Brown line to Chicago (@ Franklin), will we be safe walking east back to Michigan Avenue around 10-11pm?

Thanks again. I'll trust your advice.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CTA Safety Questions

Sure. For an added bit of security, ride in the first train car with the train operator. Walking along Chicago Ave at that hour should not be a problem. As in any other major city, common sense prevails.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,717 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CTA Safety Questions

To both your scenarios: yes you will be safe. You will find that the subway/el at that time will be busy enough. But please remember you are in a city and precautions are necessary. Keep your purse close by, don't dig in your pockets to give people money, don't really talk to anybody just mind your business. Don't drink too much and if you do, try to take a cab, etc.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CTA Safety Questions

Be VERY careful taking the Red Line at Lawerence. I grew up/lived in that area and while it is a bit more "up and coming", I still keep my wits about me at the Lawerence and Wilson stops. Be aware of your surroundings and make sure you have money on your transit card so you aren't fumbling around for cash at the station. I'm not trying to be a fear-monger but I am female who knows that area very well and I think you should be cautious.

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CTA Safety Questions

I'd like to ask another safety related CTA question: What will the train from the loop to Ohare be like around 7 p.m. on a Saturday night?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CTA Safety Questions

It will be fine. Lots of people out and about. As noted above, if you want an extra piece of security, ride in the first car with the train operator.

Make sure you check www.transitchicago.com for possible blue line track work over the weekend. If there is, there will be a shuttle bus running around the affected area. Allow some extra time for your trip.

chicago,il
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: CTA Safety Questions

HI! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.does that answer your question.based on your time of travel,i would order a cab.if you need help getting info on your phone i can help.take the cabs ,there maybe a 20 minute wait or more if its raining

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CTA Safety Questions

lots of people traveling

all areas alos have people living there

public transportation fine

if you would like a txi at any destination, they will call one for you if necessary, or falg one down for you

number if you would like 312-TAXI CAB

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CTA Safety Questions

I hope everyone will indulge a related question and my piggybacking on this thread...

Going to Chicago for the weekend in a few weeks, staying at a hotel in Hillside. Either the hotel will shuttle us to Forest Park and we take the Blue Line to the Loop or we may do the park and ride at Forest Park. We will be four adults, three children (5, 3, 1). We will likely travel into the city around 10AM, return in late afternoon to evening, Friday and Saturday.

Any safety issues to consider, especially with the children? I've traveled a fair amount, including taking the Red Line from the south side to/from Museum of Science & Industry (well, to the bus line to the museum). I've walked the streets of Managua too, so my point is not I'm so tough but that I understand using commonsense and not get overworried - but I've also not traveled those places with kids.

Also...if we drive to the Forest Park Park and Ride, any worries about leaving the car with MN plates? We'll leave the car empty, of course, to not invite breakins.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CTA Safety Questions

wouldbeworldtraveler -

I wouldn't be too concerned leaving a car at the park and ride lot in Forest Park. I will warn you though that that branch of the Blue Line can be a bit sketchy and goes through some pretty rough neighborhoods. I don't think that it is necessarily unsafe, just stay aware of you surroundings and keep an eye on the kids.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CTA Safety Questions

Agree with the previous response. Ride in the front car with the train operator for added piece of mind.