We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current weather and what to pack - help please!!

London
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Current weather and what to pack - help please!!

My sister and I are coming for the first time to Chicago next week and do not have a clue about what to pack. We're from London and the temerature looks similar to here (a jumper is ok in the daytime at the moment but by night we are needing a jacket). Do we need big coats in Chicago and is it really a windy city or is that just a myth?! any advice much appreciated thanks. Jo

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,460 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current weather and what to pack - help please!!

Just before you pack - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/weather/

You won't need big coats here. A medium weight jacket and a sweater should work. It can get windy once in a while.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current weather and what to pack - help please!!

This week, we are experiencing colder than average temperatures with long-delayed rains. Next week - who knows? It is one of Chicago's charms that the weather can change dramatically and abruptly. If our current conditions continue, expect temps from 55-65F during the day and 45-55F at night, with some rainfall on 30-50% of the days.

At some point in October, we will get several days of warm (70+F), dry weather known as Indian summer. Perhaps you'll be here at the right time. It's glorious.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current weather and what to pack - help please!!

To start with, "The Windy City" is not about the natural wind, but from debates/speecehes politicians were making a long time ago. I think a reporter dubbed us that back then. It still stands true!

It is sometimes windy off of the lake, but no big deal. I would pack clothes you can layer under a jacket/blazer. October is tricky in the Midwest, bring an umbrella.

Have fun! There is so much to see and do.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Current weather and what to pack - help please!!

You will need more than a blazer. Looks like some cool days coming up next week. I wouldn't travel with just a blazer at this time of year anyway. Think layering, and bring a pair of light gloves for evening as well.

5. Re: Current weather and what to pack - help please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2010, 05:16