We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Gift Ideas...

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
5 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Gift Ideas...

Hi all, my boyfriend and I love outdoorsy activites does anyone have any gift (activities) idea suggestions for around the area? Any help will be much appreciated!!!

MM

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Gift Ideas...

Membership to Lincoln Park Zoo and you can be outdoors walking through the zoo.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Gift Ideas...

You may want to take your boyfriend to an orienteering meet. The Chicago Area Orienteering Club organizes meets at local forest preserves, usually in the spring and fall. Orienteering combines a nice hike in the woods with the puzzle of trying to find “controls” that are placed in the parks. If you like “The Amazing Race” you will probably like orienteering. There are usually five different courses that are offered, from very easy to extremely challenging. You don’t have to be a serious athlete to enjoy it; there are families with strollers who do the easier courses, and it is easy to learn. It’s inexpensive too, only $7 per team for members and $10 per team for non-members. It would be something your boyfriend would always remember.

The 2010 dates aren’t set yet, so not sure if there is anything right after the holidays. To be honest, it’s not as fun in January (at least for me).

http://www.chicago-orienteering.org/index.htm

Portsmouth
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Gift Ideas...

You could get him something memorable like a hand-made painting from one of photos from your favorite trip together. I guess thiss would amaze him. Here's a source you can use: www.paintedsouvenirs.com

chicago
Level Contributor
8,291 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Gift Ideas...

snowshoeing at morton arboretum, maybe get a membership

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Gift Ideas...

Would any of these activities be interesting to both of you?

Sailing.

Ice-skating.

Scuba-diving.

Kayaking.

Biking.

Canoeing.

Horsebacking riding.

Bird-watching.

Golfing.

Skydiving.

Running.

Hiking. And I'm not just speaking of strolling on the Lakefront Trail, either. A real hike.

Why not invest in Illinois and/or Indiana state parks passes? In that manner, you can access any of the state parks throughout the course of a year - and not just in the immediate Chicagoland area.

And, of course, there are a lot of free or low-cost activities available through the Chicago Park District throughout the course of a year.

6. Re: Christmas Gift Ideas...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 05:17