We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lofts at 1340 S Michigan Ave

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Lofts at 1340 S Michigan Ave

Does anyone know anything about these rentals? I can't find any reviews and am wondering what the area is like around it. Is it safe? Does the El run right next to it (to disrupt sleep, etc.) Any restaurants within walking distance, etc.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lofts at 1340 S Michigan Ave

Not sure what these rentals are like, but the area is probably best described as being "in transition". There are a few restaurants and bars around and the "L" is a block and a half away (I don't think you will be able to hear it). The Roosevelt station is about two blocks north and a block-and-a-half east. You can access the Red, Green, and Orange Lines there.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lofts at 1340 S Michigan Ave

Lots of new building in the area, not all done and not all occupied.

Some restaurants not too far

Chicago Firehouse

Gioco

Opera

Zapatista

Grace O'Malley's

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lofts at 1340 S Michigan Ave

While some people think that area is too far south, it's well connected with the el and buses plus if you are visiting places like the Shedd and Field, you are actually in a better location. If your prime motivation for visiting is shopping, the you might want to stay a little further north. You have to be a little more careful in that area at night just because there's not as many people around but I've never had a problem when we've stopped at a restaurant in the area.

The el is far enough away that I don't think it'd be a concern in terms of noise, a red line station is about 2 blocks away on Wabash and Roosevelt.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lofts at 1340 S Michigan Ave

psconcierege hit most of the restaurants in the area, in addition there's Bongo Room and Yolk for breakfast, plus there's a Jewel supermarket on Wabash & Roosevelt if your rental has a kitchen.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lofts at 1340 S Michigan Ave

For anyone who knows - does the red line run above ground or underground there?

I ask because I stayed at the Chicago Hilton on S. Michigan a couple years ago when there was red line construction, so it was running above ground. Since it runs 24 hours, noise is a concern. At night, I was quite sure the train was running just next to my bed, it was so loud. Normally it wouldn't be a concern there since the red line is underground and the others don't run 24 hours.

But I wasn't sure that much further south if the red line is still underground. If not, it might be a concern.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lofts at 1340 S Michigan Ave

The red line was was underground when I rode it last week from Roosevelt & Wabash. The green and orange lines are above ground at that point. The noise level will likely depend on a couple of factors, the floor of the rental and whether it's facing Michigan or Wabash. I would hope that if the rental is a unsold condo or someone's condo that is renting it out that it would have a decent amount of soundproofing.

7. Re: Lofts at 1340 S Michigan Ave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 06:19