We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marie's Pizza Restaurant...

usa
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Marie's Pizza Restaurant...

...on Lawrence. I'd like to hear some comments on this place. Sounds good and fun. Any reccomendations for a menu favorite? My date loves pizza. Tried Home Run Inn in Darien and it failed drastically.

Thanks.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marie's Pizza Restaurant...

You might look at some of the reviews on Yelp, it doesn't look promising

yelp.com/biz/maries-liquor-and-pizza-chicago

If you want some place out of the ordinary, Freddy's in Cicero might fit the bill, the pizza is good and the gelato is excellent. Not fancy, you order in the shop and can sit in a covered room next door, but they are very friendly and most importantly the food is good.

yelp.com/biz/freddys-pizza-and-gelateria-cic…

I don't know how far you are willing to travel for pizza or where you are from, there are two or three local favorites near where I live, John's in Whiting IN (about 30 minutes from the city) and Arrenello's in Highland IN, Tinley Park, or Glenwood, IL. John's was originally in Calumet City and had a cult following, it moved to Whiting a couple of years ago and people still rave over it's pizza.

chicago
Level Contributor
500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marie's Pizza Restaurant...

I've been to Marie's many times. I like it for it's incredibly kitschy decor, cheap martinis and good, but not incredible, pizza (tho some foodies love it...you can check out reviews on LTHforum.com).

Great Lakes pizza in andersonville is very celebrated...it was named best pizza in america by GQ. Just be prepared to wait and wait. Lines start at 5 on a Saturday and then you wait more after you're seated, because they make each pie by hand. If you can go on an off time, that's the best. I also like Spacca Napoli alot. It's in Lincoln Square. Luigi's is good for NYC style pizza. It's on deming and clark. A total hole in the wall, but good pizza.

Don't know where you're located, but if it's easier to stay downtown, two place I like are Coal Fire and A Mano. I have a friend who raves about Mod.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marie's Pizza Restaurant...

We went to Marie's and it wasn't bad. Really enjoyed that thin, thin crust! I probably would only order pizza there. We had alot of fun with the people and the jukebox. If I was looking for another place not in that area, I would have gone to the ORIGINAL Home Run Inn. IMO, that's the best pizza in Chicago.

I went to grade school for a few years near Freddy's in Cicero. It's my understanding it hasn't changed much, still more of a grocery store, with an Italian deli and pan pizza slices. I don't think my date would have been too impressed. She wasn't overly impressed with Marie's, but we did have alot of laughs. I am still in the "making an impression" stage of dating, mind you! My uncle suggested Freddy's for making a great Italian picnic in the summertime, although he said it can get pricey. That surprises me, knowing the area.

I'll be flying back to Chi for another date in a few weeks. Time to start thinking about another foodie destination.

Thanks for your advice.

usa
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marie's Pizza Restaurant...

Woops! This last post was from FeedMeNow2. Forgot to sign in on my friend's daughters computer. Hope her significant other believes this!

Thanks again everyone!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marie's Pizza Restaurant...

Freddy's probably hasn't changed much, I think that's part of it's charm. Just a neighborhood joint, more of a diner, dive and drive in kind of place :-) Surely it's not a place with fine linen or atmosphere, but we liked the pizza (whole pizzas, not slices) and the owners were very congenial, letting my niece and nephew try a bunch of different gelato samples so they could choose the right one. Maybe not a place if you are trying to impress with the atmosphere though...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marie's Pizza Restaurant...

For some interesting pizza...how about Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder (http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/)? I've been going there for over 20 years and the place has not changed one bit. Decor is kind of 70's ski lodge (wood beams and maybe stucco?)....no reservations, they don't take your name down (the host will just remember you), cash only, and on Friday or Saturday night the wait could be close to 90 minutes. The pizza is unique I suppose - individual pizzas, baked in a bowl with the crust covering it, they turn it over and scoop it out table side. That, and an order of Mediterranean Bread (think a huge fresh baked tortilla) is a meal and then some.

I'm not a "yelper" but just checked and it has 4 of 5 stars with 334 reviews.

7. Re: Marie's Pizza Restaurant...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:17