We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport to Six Flags Great America

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport to Six Flags Great America

I've checked with CTA but apparently Six Flags is out of their zone (or something like that).

What other options do I have? I don't have a car, so relying on public transport.

Also, is it worth going to Six Flags?

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

The Six Flags Great American website wasn't particularly helpful, suggesting checking the train site, which is metrarail.com. So I dug around the metra website and came up with this: Union Pacific North Line to Waukegan, then Pace (suburban) bus #565. Apparently another possibility is #572, which is a bit of a longer walk. Or I imagine you could take a cab from there. I suggest you check the following websites: http://www.metrarail.com; http://www.pacebus.com; http://rtachicago.com, which has a trip planner.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

I'm actually checking into car rental, as it will prob work out cheaper than catching the shuttle back to the airport on the Monday, as I'm planning on going to Six Flags on the Sunday.

We'll see.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

I looked into it last year when someone else asked and you had to take a train and a bus, the travel time was somewhere close to 3 hours each direction. If you go, I'd highly recommend renting a car.

While it's not my favorite outlet mall, Gurnee Mills is practically next door, overseas visitors always seem to be interested in them. So you could get a hotel in Gurnee, maybe do a bit of shopping in the morning and then head down 294 to the airport.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

If you plan on renting a car on Sunday to go to Gurnee (a good idea) and return it on Monday at the airport to save the cost of a shuttle to the airport, you'll need to budget the cost of parking the car downtown on Sunday night. You might want to negotiate with the car rental company to see if they'll let you park the car overnight at their downtown office. Just a thought. Most major car rental companies have offices downtown.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

Another option if your flight is early on Monday is to stay in Gurnee or another location along 294, there are quite a few hotels in Deerfield/Northbrook along Lake Cook Road that might be cheaper than Gurnee or Chicago and they are close to 294 so you have easy access to the highway.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,209 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

i would pick up rental sunday at 9am, go to great america all day 10am-10pm, get a room in gurnee and spend monday at the pool

if you have all day monday then maybe shopping or illinois state park

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

Our flight departs ORD at 9.00am, so I'd have to get there around 7.00am to be on the safe side. Staying at Four Points Downtown (N Rush). Is there any street parking for overnight? I think the closest car rental location is N State?

Going to do some calculations anyway, see what the more viable option is.

You think public transport would be more easily accessible from the city out to a theme park, like a dedicated bus/train or something.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

No, there are not enough people who want to frequent Great America to have a dedicated transporation option

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

P.S. I've already paid for the 4 nights at FP, so staying overnight in Gurnee is not an option.

I don't mind the drive, as long as I don't get lost lol

chicago
Level Contributor
8,209 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport to Six Flags Great America

car rentals dont open until 7am on monday, i think you will need to pick up your car sunday morning at ohare and return it monday morning at ohare

you can find overnight parking by your hotel

also, use a coupon for great america, you can usually find them on coke cans or you can buy a discount ticket at jewel