We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

Michigan
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

I am using Hotwire for the first time, and a 4 star in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area is $72 a night, and a 4.5 star is $103 for the night. Does anybody have and suggestions or advice on this? Is it worth the difference? Is there that much difference in the half star? I've never used Hotwire before, and am a little apprehensive. Thanks for any help!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

To figure out the hotel, you can match the property star rating and area here - www.betterbidding.com/index.php…

Both of your rates are very good. Is it worth $30 for the 1/2* difference, probably not.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

You can often figure out exactly what hotel Hotwire is providing a rate for. Hotwire gives you the number of Stars, the Trip Advisor customer rating, and the general number of Trip Advisor reviews. That should help you narrow down what hotels that could be offered. Additionally, if you read a few reviews, you might be able to figure out which ones other visitors booked through Hotwire. I've used that method to figure out a Hotwire offer in the past and have always been right.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

FYI - I'm coming to Chicago this weekend and I pricelined last week. I got the Hyatt on Wacker and Michigan for $50 a night. Its considered a four star. I stayed there back in October. Its a pretty nice hotel, great local......kind of a big hotel. My friend pricelined today for this weekend and he paid $60 a night and got the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart. This is considered a three star. You may want to consider Priceline. I come to Chicago quite often and I always have great luck with getting nice hotels a great rate.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

I just used Hotwire over Easter and the four star I got was Hotel Sax for $89. Add the tax etc and it was about $110. Last time we stayed there it was the House of Blues so I was a bit disappointed, but they have really done a nice job of refurbishing the place.

Michigan
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

Well, i did it...and got the Hyatt Regency for 70 a night...hopefully this is a decent hotel. Looks pretty nice!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
874 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

Oh hai, I stumbled across your post today while researching Hotwire/Priceline. I've not used it before either and am staying in Detroit. Their "downtown" area is so big I'm apprehensive about not knowing where I'll be.

But I found this blogsight where a money man breaks it all down and helps you learn keys to reading Hotwire and being more at ease. He also links Betterbidding.com

mymoneyblog.com/archives/2009/08/finding-the…

I see you already got the deal but this may help in the future. It helped me.

Cheers

Michigan
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

Thank you so much for the info!!! I did already book, so let's keep our fingers crossed that all goes well!!

Thanks again,

Katie

Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

you inspired me to do the same and I was a bit nervous but also got the Hyatt Regency! I am happy with that choice for the price.

Michigan
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

I know!!! I am happy with that price, and it seems to sit right in the middle of the action. We are headed there in three weeks, so I'll update how it is, if that's before you go.

Katie

Twin Lakes...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotwire 4 or 4.5 stars? Suggestions?

We also got the Hyatt on Hotwire a couple months ago. I think you'll both love the location.Nothing is directly out the door, but you can walk easily to pretty much everything. We didn't take a cab all wkend.