We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
120 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

My wife and I will be in town to finally experience seeing our Cardinals take on the Cubs at Wrigley Field.

We're staying in the River North area (State and Hubbard) and wondered if there are any restaurants we just shouldn't miss. We'd like to take in a nice meal on one of the nights. Price isn't a huge issue, but we'd like to spend under $150 for two with tip and a couple of drinks. Some friends have raved about Weber Grill, but I've also heard from some that it's not anything extraordinary.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

Go Cards! My husband and I are from STL, although now live in River North.

Weber Grill is not that extraordinary, in my opinion, particularly given that there are so many other better restaurants in River North (and, of course, Chicago generally). I'd recommend Elate (American), Wildfire (steaks), Nacional 27 (Latin American), Osteria Via Stato (Italian) or Crofton on Wells (American). There are so many others more, but those are a good sampling in your price range. If you are willing to splurge a bit more, I would highly, highly recommend Topolobampo (the restaurant of Top Chef Rick Bayless) if you can get reservations or Naha. Both are extraordinary and worth the extra cash.

As an aside, if you need a quick, good lunch in River North, I would recommend The Kerryman (on Clark and Erie) -- great bar food and a great selection of beers.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,469 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

Skip Weber Grill. www.chicagoreader.com has a good dining search tool. You can read restaurant reviews and search by area, cuisine, budget etc.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

Earlier posts have given you names of some great spots. A couple casual places for lunch might be Hub 51 and Rockit Bar & Grill on Hubbard (good for Sunday brunch). Also, Chicago Magazine has good online restaurant listings.

http://www.hub51chicago.com/

http://www.rockitbarandgrill.com/

www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/Dining/

Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

Go Cards! We too lived in STL for several years and are now in River North! I would agree- skip Weber Grill. Some of our favorites in the neighborhood are Naha, Rick Bayless' spots- besides Topo (the most $ of the bunch) he also has Frontera Grill and Xoco, which you order at the counter, Hub 51. We also love Sunda (asian, fun atmosphere), the Purple Pig (small plates), La Madia for great flatbreads/pizza and great wines by the glass. There's also Quartino which is always fun- small plates, casual, Italian. Hope that helps to start. You'll also see there are countless steak places- so if you're interested in that- there are endless choices, including those that also serve great seafood like Hugo's Frog Bar. I would assume this wknd will be full of tourists-so if possible, I'd advise making reservations ahead of time- you can check OpenTable. Frontera Grill, Xoco, Purple Pig do not take reservations.

Chicago
Level Contributor
216 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

For sure SKIP Weber Gril. It is nothing special. I agree with Topolobampo of Frontera Grill. David Burke's Primhouse is pretty good too. Since you are CArds fans, you should do lunch at Harry Caray's. Whatever you do, make reservations. It is super easy to go on www.opentable.com. There you will see what is available and check out menu's as well. Whatever you do, have fun!!! I am originally from St. Louis so GO CARDS! Gotta go have a beer or three at Cubby Bear or Murphy's

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

We make this trip every yr since 1995, when we got married. Here's my favorites:

Harry Careys- the original one, not the one next to Wrigley field.

Butch McGuires- it's a bar w/ good food and great people watching on the patio.(nothing fancy)

Best steak we ever had was Mike Ditkas restaurant. 2 fabulous meals and lots of wine was about $150.

This trip we are trying Hugos Frog Bar (fancy seafood place)

And get to the game early and walk around- lots of bars w/food and FUN.

I'm packing my Cubs gear and my Hubby's Cards gear right now.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

Shaw's (seafood) is directly across from the Courtyard. Others have mentioned Hub 51, Rockit, Dos Diablos, Brasserie Jo. Just around the corner in the Palomar is Sable.

Also Epic, Mercadito, Havana.

In the hotel is good sandwhich place, as well as Starbucks.

You are qaso near RB Grille, newly attached to Rock Bottom brewery, which has a big rooftop area.

8. Re: In town this weekend--River North restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 05:17