We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid wireless broadband in the USA using Aust USB modem

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid wireless broadband in the USA using Aust USB modem

I've been struggling to find info about this for a while now.

I'm holidaying in the US for 3 weeks (Chicago, San Francisco, Portland, Astoria, Seattle, Honolulu) and am bringing my netbook with me which I plan to use as I'm out and about, connected to the internet.

I'd like to know what the cheapest option is for prepaid mobile broadband for just a three week period?

I have a prepaid USB modem from Vodafone Australia - details here: …vodafone.com.au/handset-vodafone-usb-modem.…

Does anyone know if I could use this device with a US sim card, specifically AT&T? I know that I can't with Virgin Mobile and Verizon

It would be preferable using my own USB modem rather than having to buy a new one, but if it's not possible - what is the next cheapest option?

thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid wireless broadband in the USA using Aust USB modem

From what I understand, it's not cheap if there's like a roaming option. I think it's 50 cents/MB?

You might be lucky and have access to free wifi...that's what I'm relying on, but it's no big deal if I don't have access every day I'm away from home.

Some hotels have free wifi access anyway.

2. Re: Prepaid wireless broadband in the USA using Aust USB modem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 06:17