We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in December.

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester U.K
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Weather in December.

Please need some info on what the weather is like in December? Thinking of visiting 18th to 23rd of December and realise it will be cold but how cold and what else could I expect? Thankyou to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,481 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in December.

Average High Temperature: 35°F (2°C);

Average Low Temperature: 21°F (-6°C);

Average Precipitation: 2.4"; Average Snowfall: 8.98"

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,166 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in December.

Averages don't tell the whole story. In 2008, December's average high was 31 and the average low was 15 degrees, with rain or snow on 3/4 of the day, and sub-zero temps around Christmas. This was an abnormally bad month, but it illustrates the range of weather. Trust me, it will be either tolerably cold or miserably cold.

Oostburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
270 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in December.

December can bring a lot of snow. For me, the bitter cold doesn't appear until the New Year. Last year I could hardly walk 3 blocks down Canal Street due to the cold wind.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,093 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in December.

Dress in layers. December can be temperate or temperamental. If the wind comes off the lake the wind-chill factory affects the temp. The frigid weather usually doesn't set in until after the first of the year. (February should not exist.) Chicago is wonderful right before Christmas. There are a lot of holiday activities; both indoor and out. Michigan Ave. is festive, the Loop is decorated and the Civic Center hosts the Christkindle Market, the Museums are going full-out. Google "Chicago Christmas".

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in December.

You're visiting Chicago at a great time of year as the city gets all gussied up for the holidays and looks beautiful and festive. I agree with the last post about dressing in layers. Best advice ever. The cold is one thing. But coupled with the winds, it will knock your socks off. Just be prepared and you'll be fine.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in December.

We have gone in the first part of Dec. for the last three yrs and I agree that it is cold(imagine that)but with a good coat and gloves and layers we love it!Mag mile is decorated, the stores are decked out, everyone has the xmas spirit.We plan our shopping and most large stores have a coat check so we don't have to carry them and also can check shopping bags--what more could a shopper want, LOL!Ducking in and out of stores keeps us warm and if all else fails a taxi works.Hope you have a great trip.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
610 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in December.

Think wind. Think cold. Think changing at any moment. Think like London but take away 10 degrees C and add wind coming off the lake. Then dress appropriately. Hats and gloves are Chicago must haves. Then you can enjoy the lights and the Christmas cheer. Chicago really lights up for Christmas.

ZB

8. Re: Weather in December.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 07:24