We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Chicago T-4 Days!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
562 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
In Chicago T-4 Days!

Will be in Chicago for the first time on Saturday. Staying at the Millennium Knickerbocker for four days. I've looked on line and here on TA for "real" info on the surrounding area. I'd like to hear from those who have stayed there also and would appreciate the scoop on how close to things we'll be. We're hoping to get to M Park, Navy Pier, Museums (Field and Science & Industry), etc... plus attend a Sox and Cubs game. Are these places (not game fields) we can walk to from the MK or would it be best to invest in "EL" all-day passes. Also looking for suggestions on casual dining options for all meals. Our budget isn't grand so keeping it simple is wonderful and would love to include hole-in-the-wall and locals' joints too...

Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions.

Chicago Architecture River Cruise
2,426 reviews
from US$43.68*
Chicago Crime and Mob Bus Tour
392 reviews
from US$37.95*
Skydeck Chicago Admission
578 reviews
from US$24.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
166 reviews
from US$75.00*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

Don't waste time or money on Navy Pier, Mr J's on State and Chicago is a pretty good hotdog stand. Almost all the affordable restaurants around your hotel are chains...subway, potbellies, etc. You can walk almost everywhere except Museum of Science and Industry. I dont think all day CTA passes are worth the cost if you plan on walking a lot. You can walk to Wrigley from your hotel, you cut through a nice swath of the city going up clark street, it takes about 90 min. That is one of my favorite walks in the city.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

I should add you do not want to walk to Sox Park as that can lead you through some sketchy areas.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

I think the multi-day 'L'-passes are a good investment and while most of the museums and the Magnificent Mile are safely walkable from your hotel, the reality is that your feet are going to be pretty tired from walking around the museum or park all day. Public transportation in Chicago is very convenient and it will save you time and energy to hop on a bus or two to get you where you need to go. Plus the L pass will come in handy for your trips to and from the baseball stadiums.

The CTA visitor's pass is inclusive of both buses and the L and at $14 for the 3-day pass (I know you mentioned you'd be there for 4 days...) the pass practically pays for itself after 6 or 7 uses.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

You can map out walking distances here - http://www.hopstop.com/?city=chicago

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

Restaurant recommendations within walking distance of your hotel:

For breakfast: [1] Tempo at the corner of State & Chestnut; [2] Original Pancake House on Bellevue between Lake Michigan and State Street (Bellevue is one block north of Oak Street); [3] Yolk on Wells Street (between Chicago Avenue & Superior Street) or the location on East Ohio Street; and [4] Eggsperience at the corner of Dearborn & Ontario Street. Note that some of these are cash only (google for menus).

The Rosebud restaurants are offering a $5 burger special at lunch. http://www.rosebudrestaurants.com/

Francesca's on Chestnut (east of the Hancock Building) is a really good Italian restaurant. www.miafrancesca.com/restaurants/chestnut/

Or maybe Pizano's on State Street (at Chestnut) http://www.pizanoschicago.com/state.html

Salute Wine Bar on Superior Street (between Rush & Wabash) has some good deals. Check them out here. www.salutewinebars.com/index.php?section=1

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

Thank you all for this very helpful information!

Question: what is Potbellies?

T-2 and I can't wait!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

Potbellies is a localish chain of toasted sandwiches, they are pretty good and relatively inexpensive. You should try them when you are here. They have really good whole pickles.

http://www.potbelly.com/home/

Edited: 23 September 2010, 14:26
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

If you're looking for a non-chain sandwich spot - www.perrysdeli.com

Chicago
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

If you are an early riser, try a pre-dawn walk South along the Lakefront. If you make it to the Planetarium, the look back at the skyline is spectacular.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Chicago T-4 Days!

we're in Chicago today and it cold!!

Tried Lou Malnati's last night and it was great! Way too much food... going to the Cubs game now and looking forward trying Perry's Deli & the Rosebud burger...

Will write a trip report when we return.