We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

I will be attending a matinee show in November at the Cadillac Palace with 10 girlfriends (all around 30 y/o). We are looking for a place to go for dinner afterwards, relatively close to the theater, but nothing too spendy (like maybe <$35 per person). Also, we need someplace where it would be easy to figure out the bill for 11 people, but I know separate checks are a pain in the a** for servers, so I don't want to do that-- example, we did tapas last time, and just ordered a bunch of things, shared, and contributed a set amount each.

Any suggestions?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

petterinos is the closest, italian village is probably the cheapest, mercat is the best, is that under $35 with drinks?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,454 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

www.petterinos.com

www.atwoodcafe.com‎

www.trattoriaten.com‎

You can read restaurant reviews and do dining searches at www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com

midwest
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

When I went with a group of girls to the Cadillac, we dined at Petterino's. I made a reservation through opentable.

The food and service were great! It is right in the theatre district and within your budget too. Our group loved it! Our ages ran from twenties on up.

All ages were in the restaurant, including well behaved children.

Have a great time in the city!

http://www.opentable.com/petterinos

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

Eh, $35-ish with drinks. Most of us will be driving home afterwards, so won't be drinking too much. I am spoiled living in Milwaukee where drinks are ~1/2 the price of what they are down there in Chi-town... ugh!

I looked at Petterinos and their pre-theatre fixed menu may be an option. I'm the only foodie, so I can settle if overall it's the easiest for big group of people.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

The theatre menu at petterinos and one beer or glass of wine will be $ 50 with tax and tip

AtwoodIs more expensive

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,704 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

Living costs (including rents) are much more expensive in Chicago, too.

IMHO, you'll need to consider upping your budget. $35 would hardly be even enough for dinner anywhere (not even including tip - and the tip will be 17%-20% for a group your size, automatically added to the bill). A moderately priced dinner in Chicago is around $50-60 (on the low end of the range).

BTW, I never recommend Petterinos. And I doubt you'll get anywhere near that $35 budget at Mercat. At least $50-60 pp without drinks, taking it easy on the # of tapa serving ordered - and, of course - the alcohol.

I could suggest places such as LaMadia, which are a little further away, but...

How are you planning on getting all of these people to the restaurant and back to wherever you need to be? Cabs? Or are you talking simply about within close walking distance - in November yet?

Edited: 28 September 2010, 11:44
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

Thanks for all of your advice. I'm familiar with how prices run in Chicago, so we're a bit flexible. I threw out $35 as kind of an arbitrary number, just to see what was out there. I appreciate the honest responses on what to expect around that area. Everything's inflated, in my opinion, but that won't stop me from coming down!

We'll get transportation figured out at a later date. We're coming in from all over the suburbs up to MKE, so we have some planning to do yet. Thanks for the concern, though!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

If Chicago isn't your cup of tea, why not park at one of our megamalls like Woodfield or Oakbrook and carpool in for the theater, then go back for dinner at the mall? Expressway access is superb and you'll have plenty of choices for a moderately-priced dinner!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

If you all are driving into the city rather than taking the Amtrack in, why not go to a restaurant on the way back? That way you won't get sacked with the Loop theatre dining prices. For example, if you are taking I-94, check out Sabatino's - 4441 W. Iriving Park. Straight up, old school Italian. Delicious and the atmosphere is really classic.

http://www.sabatinoschicago.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant for 11 ladies near Cadillac Palace Theater

You would have to take a cab or park down there, but I always like Opera for a fun group evening. http://www.opera-chicago.com/