We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway/Train from ORD to Homewood Suites - Grand Ave

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Subway/Train from ORD to Homewood Suites - Grand Ave

We need to take the train from the ORD to the Homewood Suites, located at 40 East Grand Avenue. From what I can tell, Grand (Red Line) is the most convenient subway station.

I've attempted to use the trip planner at CTA. The routing takes me to a subway stop, then walking 11 minutes to the hotel. Another planner directs me to the Monroe Station, then transferring from Blue Line to Red Line.

Here's what I need: Does the Monroe Station serve both Red and Blue lines? If so, what is the connection like between the two lines?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
216 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway/Train from ORD to Homewood Suites - Grand Ave

Both the red and blue lines stop at Monroe. You would transfer to the red line going towards Howard. It would be 3 stops to grand and just a 1 1/2 block walk to the hotel.

If you got off the blue line at Clark/Lake you could walk north, over the bridge crossing the river, to Grand and then walk east. I think it would take about 10 minutes.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway/Train from ORD to Homewood Suites - Grand Ave

While both the red and blue line trains stop at Monroe, it's not the same station. You'll need to walk between the two stations to make a transfer. Not practical. Take the blue line to Clark/Lake and walk to your hotel.

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway/Train from ORD to Homewood Suites - Grand Ave

I need just a bit more help here with understanding the Monroe station. I'm attempting to develop an alternative plan to walking to the hotel - just in case it's pouring down rain!

Is there a connection between the Monroe Red and Monroe Blue Station?

Thanks.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway/Train from ORD to Homewood Suites - Grand Ave

No. The lines do not meet at Monroe. Here's a map - transitchicago.com/assets/…200806D.htm

If you get out at Monroe, you'll need to walk upstairs, outside and over to the red line.

If you want to do the blue to red line transfer without having to go outside, get off at Jackson. You'll walk through a tunnel to get over to the red line. You can see the line connection on the map.

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway/Train from ORD to Homewood Suites - Grand Ave

Dave - that's perfect! I'll use Clark/Lake if weather is good, with Jackson as my backup for bad weather.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway/Train from ORD to Homewood Suites - Grand Ave

I just did this last month to the Palomar, about a block from your hotel. I tried doing this a few years back and got lost at the transfer. I exited at Monroe or the next station and found myself street level. Could not get my bearings right and decided to hail a cab, five minutes later and $8 tip included, I was at my hotel. This year, I kept looking for the Red Line after being on the Blue Line from ORD. I followed people up and looked for the Red Line sign and there are many people making this transfer, you really can't get lost like I did a few years back. The exit at Grand for Red line is being dug up, so you may have to walk across the street to cross. I've stayed at the Homewood, good location, clean and solid place. There is a supermarket right at the Grand the Red Line subway street level. It is the first floor of a high rise condo with a Bed Bath and Beyond next to it. Chicago is a great city, you will have fun.

7. Re: Subway/Train from ORD to Homewood Suites - Grand Ave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2011, 06:16