We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Wedding Near Chicago?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Camping Wedding Near Chicago?

My boyfriend and I would like to have a camping wedding weekend with about 60-80 of our friends. We are looking for state parks/campgrounds within about three hours of Chicago that we could do this. Our ideal location would have an open area we could get married in/grill with our friends, as well as room for our friends to camp. Does anyone know of anything that might work? Any suggestions would be great!

chicago
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Wedding Near Chicago?

Starved rock, maybe devils lake

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping Wedding Near Chicago?

I think for 60 - 80 people any State Park might be difficult. Starved Rock in Utica and Rock Cut in Rockford are extremely popular campgrounds especially in the warmer months. The state parks also only have electric only sites, and not all sites can be reserved. Bathrooms might be a challenge, especially if the wedding party will be dressing nice.

I would suggest talking to Ron at Timber Lake Resort in Mt. Carroll. He is awesome, and if given enough advanced notice, he will work with you to make your day very special. The campground is beautiful and set on a small lake.

The facilities are new and also very nice. They also have a large building if you want to have a reception, or in case of rain. They also have some very nice, well equipped cabins in case some in your group aren't into camping.

If you change your mind and decide not to camp, the Lodge at Starved Rock is a beautiful location for a wedding. They do have many weddings there though, and book fast. They have both hotel rooms, and small cabins for lodging. They have a beautiful outdoor Veranda where they serve food, drink, and have live entertainment on the weekends. They also have an indoor pool and spa.

Good luck to you! As a camper, I think it's a really cool idea.

Edited: 31 October 2010, 17:13
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping Wedding Near Chicago?

If you do decide to go the state park route, Mississippi Palisades State Park is one of the most beautiful campgrounds I have ever seen. It is a very large campground, and far enough away from Chicago that it doesn't fill up every weekend. There are camp hosts that might be able to help you coordinate your event if you call them directly.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping Wedding Near Chicago?

Check out Chain O'Lakes State Park. We had a good time there. It's pretty spacious, shady, open areas and a lake with rentals. Probably about 1.5 hours out of Chicago. The only negative is no alcohol at Il State Parks. You've got to camp in WI, where they welcome beer drinkers with open arms!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping Wedding Near Chicago?

You might want to check out Potowatomi State Resort Park in Indiana. It has a nice campground, with lots of activities. It also has a nice, historic inn you could use, if needed. Lake James. I believe it would be within your 3 hr requirement, maybe less.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping Wedding Near Chicago?

Where did you end up?

7. Re: Camping Wedding Near Chicago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:18