We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2011

Texas
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
June 2011

There is just something about a new year that gets me to thinking about summer vacation! :D

At this point I'm considering a mid-June visit to Chicago. Is this a good time for a visit? I know Chicago plays host to many conventions. Is there a particular time in the summer that is better then others to avoid?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

chicago
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2011

june is a good month for neighborhood festivals and usually good weather

St. Charles, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2011

You should come after say June 8 or so. In some years there is a prevailing northeast wind off of Lake Michigan before then that can make the Loop a bit cool.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2011

Thanks Y'all. I'm sure I'll be 'picking your brains' for more info in the near future. I love the planning process of a trip!! :0)

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2011

Watch out for these conventions in June: Oncologists, June 3-7 and NEOCON, June13-15. They have 30,000-plus visitors and will drive up hotel prices, and sometimes limit the number of available rooms. Because these conventions "take over" certain days, I think it pushes the regular tourist traffic into the remaining days. With school vacations, etc., June becomes a very popular month.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2011

Thanks for the info Pgo. I was thinking June 14th - 19th because I saw the Yankees are playing the Cubs during that week. According to the Mr. that is a rare occurance and we thought it might be a fun game to attend - amongst other things on our long list of possibilities. However if we can't get a room at a decent price I might need to rethink that! Any other dates that I should avoid in June?

Texas
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2011

P.S. Is July a better month??? At this point nothing is booked so we can make adjustments to our plans if need be. Thanks for your help!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 2011

The convention calendar at www.choosechicago.com will have the dates of all major conventions. Usually, the biggest ones of 20,000 plus are the ones to avoid.

However, if you want to try for the Yankees series, you could plan to stay out near Wrigley for the first two days, then move downtown. The northside neighborhood hotels won't have the convention traffic that downtown does. An important warning for the Yankees series, though: this is a hot ticket, and face-value seats are hard to get. My neighbor claims that when he sells his season tickets for that series, it pays for the rest of the year!

Edited: 04 January 2011, 19:36
Texas
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 2011

Thanks Pgo! Lots of good info here. :D

I hadn't considered the expense associated with seeing the Yankees. DUH! A tour of Wrigley Field is a MUST DO for us, (we love history!) so perhaps we will forget about the game and concentrate on that. It is possible to get a tour while the Cubs are in town or would it be better to plan a time when they are on the road if we want the tour?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 2011

tickets havent went on sale yet, see if you can get face value from the cubs, still expensive but worth it

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 2011

A gentleman that gives tours at Wrigley told us that you can see more when the Cubs aren't in town. On the website, it also states "On those tour days that coincide with baseball games or other events, certain areas may have limited or no access."

…mlb.com/chc/ballpark/wrigley_field_tours.jsp