We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best area for a hotel

Liverpool
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which is the best area for a hotel

I am looking to visit Chicago at the end of August early September but I know little about the city. Which area is the best for all the attractions, I do not mind a lot of walking during the day but I am looking for a good base. Also any other advice on places of interest welcome.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best area for a hotel

River north or mag mile

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,965 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best area for a hotel

Check www.explorechicago.org for ideas of what to see/do here.

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for dining and entertainment information.

You can read hotel reviews in the Chicago Hotels section of TA.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 15:52
chicago
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best area for a hotel

Our public transportation is decent at best, but the Chicago is truly a wonderful place to visit during that time. Our lake gives for a beautiful view both from and to. Now, for a hotel, the city isn't THAT big, so if you rent a car, consider just outside the metro area too. If you don't have a car, get as close to lake (east) as possible as everything is in a much tighter area (less walking to visit more).

Consider the area's you want to visit first to get an idea of 'home base' then plan your visits. Don't forget museum campus - which has the Shed Aquarium, the Planetarium, and the Field Museum. Not far away is the Chicago Art Institute. Millennium Park & Grant Park are pretty much a must that time of year - North Ave beach too.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the best area for a hotel

Stayed in the River North area close to the fancy McDonalds and was really happy with that area of town. Loads of good restaurants around, easy access to busses and such. Would stay there again.

5. Re: Which is the best area for a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 05:34