We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Michigan Lakefront

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Lake Michigan Lakefront

Hi all,

Bf and I are planning a trip to Chicago from the 28th to 31st May over the memorial day weekend.

We would very much like to spend a morning/afternoon just lazing at a beach somewhere along Lake Michigan, perhaps have a meal out of a picnic basket :)

However, I found out that Lake Michigan Lakefront has a 26 mile lakefront with 33 beaches!!! Thats too much for me to pinpoint a spot! I need some recommendations as to which is a nice spot to just relax , with not too much people and easily accessible by public transport.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated =)

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,577 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

Grab your food from - http://www.fox-obel.com/

Walk over to Olive Park - tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g35805-d56…

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

Keep in mind that the lakefront weather may still be a touch cool for lazing.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,116 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

You will not have a problem with crowded beaches in May. Be sure to dress warm. …about.com/od/chicago101thebasics/a/may.htm

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

There are only 3 beaches you would go to. One at the end Ohio Street near Navy Pier, it will be the quietest and several buses go there. Oak Street at Michigan ave. is a nice beach with an outdoor restaurant and North Ave which will be the most active with lots of young people.

keep in mind it can be colder at the beach than it is only 200 meters away in May and the weather can change quickly.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

Chicagoans are generally dissappointed on memorial day because it often rains, or it's chilly out, etc. So be smart and have another alternative plan to lazing at the beach.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,267 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

North avenue has the most amenities

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

Just rent bikes and pick your own special places along the 18-mile Lakefront Trail, which is a blast to ride, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_rec…

I like Montrose Harbor on the north end and Promontory Point on the south end. Olive Park is a quiet little place close to Navy Pier.

I've been to the beaches on a warm Memorial Day weekend, and hardly anyone was there, so you don't have to worry about crowds. Even if it's warm, it'll probably be too breezy for sunbathing.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,536 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

Beaches don't usually officially open until Memorial Day, I believe, so nothing should be crowded. I'm not sure if the restaurants along the lakefront are open before that.

Bear in mind that Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend is normally the day of Bike the Drive, when Lake Shore Drive is closed early on Sunday morning to vehicular traffic and thousands of bicyclists will be out on the Drive.

singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

Hey all,

Thanks for all your recommendations and suggestions!

We'll be sure to check the weather before heading out to the beach and avoid sunday morning of the Bike the Drive weekend. :)

Will research more bout the beaches mentioned here and see which fits our itinerary best. Seems like 0live Park or those at ohio or oak street will be most convenient when we tour the North side of chicago..

Thanks once again :D

10. Re: Lake Michigan Lakefront

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 08:16