We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Chicago

9 posts
Save Topic
Tipping in Chicago

I'm from Singapore where tipping, I would say, is not a very common move, except for some occasions when we wanted to get rid of the loose change in restuarants. I'd be goin to Chicago for 8 days with my sister n mum in end of March, and heard about e tipping practice in almost everywhere we go. Would need some advice on where tipping is required, and how much.

Eg. Hotel Room service (concierge, baggage carry)

Starbucks and food chains

Shopping malls

Supermarkets

Public transport like CTA n buses

What else have I missed out? Do we need to tip when we purchase entrance tickets to the aquariums or museums?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,589 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Chicago

No tipping is necessary in shopping malls, ticket purchases, museums, supermarkets, or public transport. If you take a taxi, 15% is an average tip amount. In restaurants 15-20% is normal. A few dollars per luggage piece is average.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Chicago

It is very thoughtful to leave a tip for the hotel maid who cleans your room. Suggestions range from $1 to $5 per night. Have a safe trip!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
449 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Chicago

Dave has sound advice, but I would only add that in restaurants, my tipping is confined to 20% (for good service) of the pre-tax total since the establishment is really only collecting the funds for the state/city. But, that's jus me.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,405 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Chicago

no need to tip at starbucks or fast food, you only need to tip if you have a waiter that takes your order and brings your food, we also tip bartenders if you are planning on going to any bars

9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Chicago

Thanks guys!!!

6. Re: Tipping in Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 05:16