We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Qs and tipping!

Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Topic
Quick Qs and tipping!

Off to the windy city on Saturday! Cany wait...

Few last Qs:

Is it cold at the moment? Hats and scarfs needed?

If a service charge is included in a restuarant bill, is a further tipp expected? How much is a standard tipp in a restaurant?

Tipp for cab? bellboy at hotel?

How much should a taxi from o hare to downtown cost on average?

Thanks in advance

Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,931 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Qs and tipping!

Weather - http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/

Unless you're dining with a large group, a service charge is not included in the restaurant bill. 15-20% is customary. Same for a taxi. A few dollars per bag for a bell-person is fine.

$45+ for a taxi from ORD - downtown. Note - there's a fuel surcharge added to the metered rate.

Level Contributor
8,297 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Qs and tipping!

I just went out and it's cold--you would want a scarf and hat. But the other day it was warm. This is the season for this. Yes, you do have to tip here--and it won't be included unless you have over 6 people in your group and even then it's not always added so you have to check your bill. Tip 15-20% on the FOOD bill. Be careful not to tip on the sales tax added in. Also, everyone is different, but I watch what I tip on wine. Just because I choose a bottle of wine that costs $100 vs one that costs $20, doesn't mean I tip that much more for the cost of the wine. So tipping is an art form. I tip 10% or so on a cab fare and that depends on how he drove. If he almost got me killed because he was on his cell jabbering in another language, he gets nothing. If he took shortcuts and was pleasant, or at least quiet, he gets 10-15%. Bellboy get's a buck a bag.

Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Qs and tipping!

thanks guys, very good advice. Just read a tread to watch out for service charge included so wanted to get advice. I always tip in the states and in ireland, only for good service in ireland i must admit.

I agree that taxi drivers driving dangerously while on mobile phones etc is a difficult one....

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Qs and tipping!

You can take the CTA Blue Line train from O'Hare to Clark/Lake for $2.25. Just follow the signs on the baggage level of T1-3 that say "Trains to City". The trip will take about 45-60 minutes. At Clark/Lake, you can catch a cab to most hotels for only a few dollars. Both the O'Hare and Clark/Lake stations have elevators and escalators.

If you're arriving during morning or evening rush hour, the train will be considerably faster than a cab.

Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Qs and tipping!

I'd like to say that Dave is most likely quoting the fare for a cab ride from ORD not the tip. I'd probably give $5 on that ride. If he/she grabed my bags and hustled out and unloaded them maybe a bit more. Happi is, and I agree, dead on with wine. A good bottle wine may be pricey but I think you're obligated to tip on service not price. On a thirty dollar bottle of wine I'd probably tip normally, on a$100 bottle of wine I'd probably tip like it's a $30 bottle of wine.

Please take notice,,, if you don't think service is good a tip is not necessary but I would talk to the manager. Sometimes its not the servers fault but this is a management problem and everyone concerned should be aware. This is how that server can become better or what ever. But it certainly isn't your problem.

I need to say that on a recent trip to OZ the food prices were a bit higher than here even with the currency difference. But the service in many cases sucked. My take away was servers were paid more and cared less. JMO>

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Qs and tipping!

We usually tip cab drivers about 10%. Bellboys is anywhere from $2- $5 regardless of how many bags we have. $1-2 for the valet guy. $1-2 per night for housekeepking. There really are no standard amounts for any of these.

7. Re: Quick Qs and tipping!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 15:17