We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago to Mackinac Island

West Palm Beach...
2 posts
Save Topic
Chicago to Mackinac Island

We are planning to fly to Chicago in August, 2011, and drive to Mackinac Island, any thoughts, suggestions, best route, most scenic, etc.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago to Mackinac Island

The most scenic route, IMO, is up through Wisconsin and around through the upper peninsula of Michigan, to Mackinac. I prefer that route to cutting down through Indiana and up through the lower peninsula of Michigan (I've done both). The Wisconsin/UP route may take slightly longer---I can't remember specifically.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago to Mackinac Island

I live on the way and have been to both places many times. The fastest way would be I 94 to I 196 to US 131 to US 31 to I 75 and then of course a ferry to the Island.

Most scenic would be the old hi way along Lake Michigan. It would add at least a couple of hours to the drive. US 12 to Red Arrow hwy, to M 63, to Blue Star Hwy, sounds complicated but once on 12 you don't make any turns really you just stay on the main road. Blue star goes all the way to Holland where it joins US 31 which you would then stay on till you hit I 75 just south of the bridge. This would take you thru New Buffalo, St Joseph, South Haven, Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Ludington, Manistee, Traverse City, Charlevoix, Petoskey.

Course there are many side drives worth a look like M 22 from Manistee to Traverse City is magnificent really. Take a look and ask if you have specific questions.

Already a disagreement. LOL

Edited: 16 March 2011, 15:28
West Palm Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago to Mackinac Island

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was considering driving along the coast of Wisconsin (thru Milwaukee) rather than direct thru Michigan. Mapquest put that trip at 10 hrs rather than 8 hours direct. Any thoughts?

--B

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago to Mackinac Island

fastest way is thru MI about 7 hours, fastest way thru WI is 9+ I think if you pull off of I 196 at Holland and take US 31 you'll catch a pretty good road north. 'the northwest corner of lower Michigan can"t be matched. WI doesn't have Sleeping Bear Dunes and M 22. Just saying.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago to Mackinac Island

And of course don't forget you can drive one way and fly back if time is an issue.

6. Re: Chicago to Mackinac Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 21:16