We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louisville to Chicago

Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Topic
Louisville to Chicago

I am a mom who will be traveling alone with my teen daughter and usually fly but we are staying near the Woodfield Mall in July. Trying to avoid the most construction ha ha I know.. Should I take 80-94 to avoid this or should I just take 90. I don't mind going a little out of the way. By the way she is competing at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center/Hotel. To head into the city, someone mentioned to drive up to Arlington heights and catch the train there...appreciate your input..Thanks...

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,897 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Louisville to Chicago

Metra from Arlington Heights is a good option. metrarail.com/content/…map.html

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Louisville to Chicago

Can I assume that you're driving up to Schaumburg?

65 to 80/94 to the Tollway (294). Go on the tollway up to where 290 comes in (you'll go through 3 tolls (80 cents apiece) and after the third toll you'll want to get on to 290 West. This will take you right into Schaumburg.

If you have the time and don't want to pay as many tolls, you can get off 294 at 127th Street and follow the signs for Route 83 North. About 20 miles later you'll be at 290 and Route 83. Take 290 West toward Schaumburg.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions about driving in and around Chicago.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,897 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Louisville to Chicago

With all due respect to the previous post, the few dollars you'll save on tolls by jumping off at 127th will be offset by the additional gas you'll spend on city driving along Route 83.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Louisville to Chicago

I would definitely avoid 90/94 (aka the Dan Ryan). I travel on the stretch from I 55 to North Avenue sometimes, and it is always crowded. I was on it today, and although it wasn't bumper to bumper, there were so many cars that it made for a very stressful drive. On the plus side, you get some great views of the city if you can take your eyes off the road!

I drive from Indiana to the western suburbs somewhat regularly. Going to Schaumburg, I would probably take the route suggested by petrohd, staying on the tollway, but....I used to take 80/94 to 294 (the Tri State Tollway). Now that 355 has been extended, I stay on 80 westbound until hitting 355 (the Veterans Memorial Tollway) and going north there. There is much less traffic (unless you are there during morning rush hour). I checked with Google Maps, and 355 would add about 8 minutes and 12 miles to your trip, so a longer route.

WBBM 780 AM has regular traffic reports.

Edited: 20 March 2011, 23:36
5. Re: Louisville to Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 22:16