We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

I live in the city and work Downtown near the Dearborn, Ogilvie and Union Stations. I know that METRA has the $7.00 weekend passes good on Saturday and Sunday and serves many suburbs but not applicable on South Shore Line. With gas prices going up, I am looking for a cheap weekend vacation. So I am curious about a destination that can be reached from the METRA, with a reasonably priced hotel and some kind (any kind, I am open minded) of local attractions within an easy few blocks of the station. I will pay full price for the ticket on the South Shore line, if needed.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

Getting to a Metra station in a nice suburb is easy. Finding a hotel and attractions within walking distance of the station to keep you occupied for a weekend is not.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 23:16
pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

How about Geneva on the UP-W line? It has a nice downtown with plenty of shops and restaurants, the riverwalk, and a couple of hotels.

http://www.genevadowntown.org/

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

Another idea - take Amtrak to Springfield.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
130 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

Try kenosha wisconsin.Metra goes straight there. You might find something to do there. Geneva is a good option too. Historic.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

if you have a bike and/or camping gear, you open up more possibilities.....

at any rate, this is what comes to mind:

take the UP north line to zion and go to illinois state beach...you can stay at the beach resort, located within the park on the Lakefront... not exactly cheap, but it's the only resort i know of on the illinois Lakeshore.... there's also a rather large campground......

or, if you do this in the summer, check the ravinia schedule.... ride up to HP to see the show, then stay at one of the B&B's in town, or the courtyard out on lake cook rd. again, if you have a bike, it helps.......

or, go out to woodstock. i've heard there's at least 1 or 2 B&B's out there....

or, take the south shore line to chesterton, IN. either camp at indiana dunes STATE park, or stay at a B&B. i would recommend the gray goose inn.

or, if you wanna step it up a bit, take amtrak up to milwaukee.... it follows the METRA route for much of the way, so at least you'll feel like you're riding METRA. you can also take amtrak east to st. joe, MI. the train drops you off right at the beach. there are several hotels downtown, overlooking the Lake. if you have a bike, you can ride 2 miles to the holiday inn express, which might be a bit cheaper......

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

Does it have to be Metra? Take a train to Springfield. Lots to see and do within walking distance of the station, as are hotels.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

Also look into Naperville. Riverwalk, Naper Settlement, Centennial Beach, etc. I think some hotels offer local shuttles (e.g. Country Inn & Suites). Could also time your visit during a special event such as Ribfest.

Edited: 01 April 2011, 15:11
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

Thanks.

9. Re: Is a Cheap METRA Vacation possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 20:19