We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redford/Detroit
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

My high school junior is ready to get out of Dodge, and has decided a college in Chicago is in her future! I have made a reservation at the Seneca for June 25-30. We will be touring University of Chicago and Loyola, seeing Beauty and the Beast (she was just in her school production), stopping at the Bleeding Hearts Bakery (love them from FN Challenge), brunch at the Signature Room, both art museums, and fireworks at Navy Pier. We are vegan/vegetarian and wondering about places to eat, and any other jewels we wouldn't find unless we knew where to look. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice. I'm losing my baby and taking it pretty hard, so I want to make this trip spectacular!

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

Right off the top of my head, your itinerary is great. There are always tons of things to recommend and do. But I would really spend as much time as possible on the two campuses as they couldn't be more different. I'm assuming the far north Loyola Campus--and spend alot of time walking around that neighborhood, maybe go to Devon avenue where the Indian community resides so lots of vege options. And then University of Chicago is in the Hyde Park area--south of downtown-- so a whole day exploring that area too. The SMART musuem and the Oriental Musuem are both on that campus and are both smaller and worthwhile. Walk, shop, poke around so your daughter can determine which neighborhood is her preferred home for the next 4 years.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

Any particular reason for choosing the Seneca? It's not that close to the train or bus lines that you'll be using. Be sure to spend some time on the U of Chicago website regarding the best transportation options - I generally would recommend a hotel south of the river to access the Metra Electric or the express buses. The University has an arrangement with the Hilton at 720 South Michigan that you may be interested in. Loyola is easy, as the Red Line virtually stops on campus.

…uchicago.edu/transportation.shtml#transit

Another helpful website: www.collegeconfidential.com

Edited: 16 April 2011, 18:50
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,048 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

http://www.veggiediner.com/wp/

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for dining and entertainment information.

Seneca's a three block walk to the Chicago Ave CTA red line station. You can also hop a southbound CTA bus on Michigan Ave to get to the Metra Electric station at Randolph.

CTA visitor passes would be a good option. www.transitchicago.com for public transit information.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

The Seneca is a five to six block walk to the Red Line, about 5/8 of a mile. It isn't a deal breaker, but it does take a while.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 19:20
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

You already have a very good start on your itinerary and it gives us insight into those interests which both of you might have.

When you say "both art museums" above, to which of the several Chicago has are you referring? The Art Institute? The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA)? The Loyola University Museum of Art (LUMA)? The Smart Museum of Art (at the U of C)? The National Museum of Mexican Art (in Pilsen)? The DePaul University Museum (in the Lincoln Park neighborhood)? Intuit, the Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art (on N. Milwaukee)? to name a few... And then you have all of the public (outdoor) artwork in Chicago. (On the last, if you go to the City of Chicago's website, you can download the 48-page illustrated booklet about the subject, which includes information on the pieces, their artists and location in the city.)

It's always such a mob scene at Navy Pier when they have fireworks. Just so you know. While you are there, the two of you might be interested in visiting the Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows (free) - also an artist medium, as you will see, and a wonderful reminder of part of Chicago's history.

Most restaurants have at least a couple of vegetarian (and maybe vegan) dishes but there are some here that offer more. The Chicago Diner in the Boystown area of the lakeview neighborhood; Green Zebra (chef Shawn McClain is an alumni of Chicago's Kendall College School of Culinary Arts); RAW in the Chicago French Market; Karyn's on Green.

Which Loyola campus?

Redford/Detroit
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

Thanks to all! I chose the Seneca for the tourist convenience as opposed to the college tour convenience- got a fairly good deal, so we'll probably stick with it and walk. We came a few summer's ago and had a weird experience on the El (a drunk guy from Wrigley Field fell on top of us and broke the window!), so we're a bit traumatized to use public transportation, but I think it would be crazy expensive to take a cab to U of C. I have to do more research on which Loyola campus- the one closest to downtown?!? Love the 2 museum comment- can't wait to look up the Center for Intuitive and Outsider Art! I like to plan, so I did see all of the veggie restaurants listed; just wondering if anyone had personal experience. We Sunday brunch at the Signature Room when we come, although I may have to take a vegan break- love, love, love the caviar! I look forward to this trip with excitement and trepidation, but feel a bit better with the expert advice. Thanks again!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

You've got a great start...what a wonderful gift for you both! As far as the vegan suggestions, I think people are defining this too narrowly. Some excellent restaurants -- although not strictly vegan -- will have plenty of great entrees to choose from. I am a big fan of Volare (St. Clair and Grand), which does a fab job with pastas. Hub 51 has a dazzling array of vegie appetizers and grazing food (love the guacamole!) And don't overdose on too many museums...leave some time for shopping, whether it's Michigan Avenue or funky neighborhood boutiques. Now that will REALLY endear you to your daughter!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

What your daughter studies will determine the Loyola campus, but she will probably be interested in Loyola's main Lake Shore campus (along Lake Michigan) in Rogers Park, which is the northernmost neighborhood in Chicago. I think all of the dorms are located at this campus. The humanities, fine arts, and liberal arts and science departments are located here too. The Water Tower Campus is along North Michigan Avenue, near the famous Water Tower. The School of Business and several other schools are located here. The School of Medicine is in Maywood, so if she studies nursing she would go there for her clinicals. There are shuttles that take students to the various campuses.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

Intoxicated souls at Wrigley Field!! Gasp! Now, that IS a shocker!! :D

Seriously, though, please don't let that single experience poison you on using CTA public transportation.

I've been to all of the vegetarian/vegan restaurants I've mentioned, frequenting The Chicago Diner the most, because I live in the neighborhood. IMHO, the best two are The Chicago Diner and Green Zebra.

As I mentioned above, you can get vegetarian meals at practically any restaurant, even fast food places. You could even get a veggie dog at Hot Doug's or stuffed spinach pizza at some places, such as The Art of Pizza. True vegan, though, it rather more difficult to come by and that's why I mentioned those above.

Once you have confirmed which Loyola campus, please let us know. We wouldn't want to be offering dining suggestions way up north if you aren't going to be in the neighborhood anyway.

BTW, take a look at the Magnificent Mile's website to get an idea of the stores located there. IMHO, mostly what you'll find at many suburban malls nowadays. If that isn't the type of shopping in which you are interested, and I don't think it is from your above comments, there are several threads on this forum which mention different neighborhoods to consider.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mother/Daughter College Trip this summer- sigh

Since your daughter is an undergrad, she'll be situated at the LakeShore campus. The water tower is mainly for grad studies and law school. And if she does end up at Loyola, she'll definitley want to spend a semester on their campus in Rome (of course this will be more upsetting to you but that is a couple years off).