We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Chicago by car

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Toronto to Chicago by car

Hi,

I will be driving to Chicago mid to late June with my wife and our 2 year old twins. Google Maps gives a time of 9 1/2 hrs, I am taking it as 12 hrs with the stops. I would like to stop for the day once we reach the half way mark, preferably after crossing into the US. We will be taking the Sarnia route. Any suggestions as to where we should stay for the night? Thanks!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Chicago by car

Post your question in the Michigan forum - it sounds like you need a place between Sarnia and Lansing, but the area around Flint is pretty depressed and you need good advice from a local.

I know you didn't ask this, but June is a big convention month in Chicago, and you should book a hotel early.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Chicago by car

US23/Hill rd area (genesee county) and southwest of Flint is a fine area, several hotels and places to eat, and the location is just south of I-69, the route to Chicago. E Lansing is about 6 hours, and then Battle Creek or Kalamazoo as you head to Chicagoland. Kzoo is roughly 7-8 hours from toronto, but then your only 3 hours from chicago from there also. so you can take your pick.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Chicago by car

go a bit further west and stay on the shore of lake michigan. st joseph or south haven are just off I-94 and offer great beach opportunities for the young ones. it will be worth driving west the extra couple of hours.....

4. Re: Toronto to Chicago by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 21:16