We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Getaway Advice

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Getaway Advice

I need a weekend getaway for me and my boyfriend within a 5 hour drive from chicago that does not revolve around wineries or olde timey scented candles stores? I have also done milwaukee and the dells sooo many times already too. I need something new. Any ideas?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,465 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

michigan.org/Partners/Beachtowns/Default.aspx

http://visitindy.com/

http://www.visitmadison.com/

http://www.visitquadcities.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

I've had some great getaways in St. Louis. It's right at the 5 hour mark if you drive, but IMHO well worth the trip. Something for everyone: sports, shopping, museums, parks, nightlife, etc.

Edited: 23 June 2011, 23:32
chicago
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

do you camp? i had a really nice weekend at kettle moraine

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

I live up here in Traverse City, MI, also just about exactly 5 hours away. It is absolutely gorgeous in the summer, with all kinds of lakes, rivers, beaches, forests, parks, restaurants, clubs, bars, shopping, etc. I have no idea what you like to do, but there are a lot of good choices here...though there are also plenty of wineries.

And to msmejkal, i'll give you an answer shortly....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

How are the art museums and nightlife in Madison? I should post this in the madison forum, but I would like a chicagoans opinion of it lol...

Twin Lakes...
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

We really enjoyed South Haven Mi last fall. It's an easy drive(2 1/2 hrs from Chicago) and lots to do. We ventured up to Saugatuck, but it reminded me of Lake Geneva, too touristy, so was glad we didn't stay there.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

While Door County has wineries and a couple of candle stores, there is certainly a lot more to do, with the largest concentration of state parks to a great assortment of theater, concerts, and restaurants.

Check it out at www.doorcounty.com

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

Go to southern Illinois. Rent a luxury cabin in Giant City National Park. If you are a bit poor, rent a rustic cabin. The scenery is outstanding, go to Garden of the Gods for giant rock formations. Visit the spillways in Murpheesboro. You can rent canoes, boats at a variety of lakes there. Plus it's near the college town of Carbondale so lots of bars, restaurants, nightlife, etc.

dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/r5/gc.htm

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

The EAA AirVenture Oshkosh. If you haven't ever been there, it's really something to experience.

Brown County, IN. Horseback riding, canoeing, hiking, camping, etc. You could also go to bluegrass concerts in Bean Blossom.

South Bend, IN has the East Race Whitewater Course. Since it's right below the Indiana/Michigan border, you also have the option to include it in a trip including several destinations.

Columbus, IN for the architecture.

Auburn, IN for the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Festival (Labor Day weekend) or to just visit the museum. Auburn is immediately north of Fort Wayne, the second largest city in Indiana, after...

And, of course, Indianapolis. If you are mostly interested in nightlife, this will probably be one of your best options. It's the 12th largest metropolitan area in the U.S. - much larger than St. Louis and Milwaukee.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend Getaway Advice

Thanks for all the advice!

I have been to Indy many times, it is a great city. renting a RU$TIC cabin actually sounds kind of fun I will look into it.

tha EAA AirVenture Oshkosh also sound like it could be fun.