We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
200 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

My wife and I are driving from the East to visit our daughter in Madison Wi. We would like to take a more scenic route from the Chicago area to Madison. Can anyone suggest a way of leaving the Interstate Hwy and doing a more interesting drive? Thanks.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,465 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

Do you want to make the trip in one day? Consider Route 12. Play with Google Maps and check the box marked Avoid Highways.

If you've got an extra day, consider going up the lakefront to Racine, WI. Cut across west from there to 12.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

Also consider taking 41 North out of Chicago and stay on the lakefront up to Milwaukee and then cut across.

ZB

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

Yes, we have to do the ride in one day. I'll check out the suggestions listed.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

I would take the tollway out of Illinois so as not to deal with traffic in the north 'burbs. Once in WI, I would take a left on Hwy 50 at Kenosha and go to Lake Geneva. Then, I would continue Hwy 50 through Delavan, up 89 to Whitewater, Fort Atkinson, then Hwy 12/18 into Madison

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

Just so you know, there's a major bottleneck at the intersection of 41 and 294 on the north side of the Illinois-Wisconsin border.

Highway 67 and 12 north of there is pretty; most of Hwy 12 in Illinois is very slow and has a good deal of development.

Have you considered using 90, but stoppin in Rockford to see some of their parks or Klehm Gardens?

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
708 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

You can go north on 41 to Illinois 173, the last E-W state road before you get to Wisconsin... take it west to US 12, then north on 12. 12 is an expressway for a while, then becomes a 2-lane road. In Illinois you'll cut through part of the Chain O'Lakes area this way, and you miss the ugly (and under-construction) I-94 in Wisconsin.

For me in the far N suburbs this is actually my first choice route to Madison, since 12 cuts a favorable angle. You can stay on 12 all the way - the only town of any size you go through is Fort Atkinson - or cut west on County N (near Whitewater) to pick up I-39/I-90.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

We just took 173 last night, and it is down to one - yes, one shared lane -in two places around Antioch. I don't recommend it.

8. Re: scenic drive from Chicago to Madison WI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 14:16