We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
229 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

I am looking for a well-reviewed, above-average American restaurant in the River North area that has a menu diverse enough for two teens and is good enough for their parents. This would probably be our "splurge" dinner for our trip later this month. I have narrowed choices to Wildfire and Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab. Do people have a preference? Does one have a better reputation than the other? I realize that Joe's has a wider seafood selection; otherwise, they seem to have similar menus, though Joe's seems a tad more expensive. I also realize they neither is unique to Chicago, but we'll be trying Chicago-based sites for other meals. If you have other choices with similar menus and reviews in the River North area (and better than someplace like the Weber Grill), I'd be happy to hear of those, as well. Thx for your advice.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

I like both but I think id pick wildfire

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,378 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

Consider getting out of River North for a non-chain option - http://glennsdiner.com/ - CTA Brown line to Montrose.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,479 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

They are both Lettuce Entertain You restaurants so the quality is expected to be better than good and the atmosphere entertaining. http://www.leye.com/restaurants

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

all are ok but just barely ok.

there are some great non-chain restaurants in river north such as :-

graham elliot ****

vermillion ***

gene and georgetti ***

india house ****

kiki's bistro ***

sunda ****

all of these are way better than joes and wildfire, thats for sure.

Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

It depends on what you're looking for- do you want a steakhouse? Between the 2 choices I would pick Joe's- it's food is really great. I also like Hugo's Frog Bar if you want a seafood/steak combination.

For something other than a steakhouse but still American and fairly mainstream food- you could look into Sable- shareable small plates, creative cocktails, a good value and fun atmosphere, Naha- a little more upscale but consistently delicious food, Table 52- southern comfort food by Oprah's former chef. There's many more options but let us know what you're looking for. For all of these spots, I would make reservations well in advance on Opentable.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

I love both of them, reasonably priced yet still very good quality of food. If you're leaning towards seafood go with Joe's, if you are leaning towards steak go with Wildfire. Both extremely popular so be sure to have a reservation. Shaw's is another good choice, also seafood.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,171 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

Wildfire. Although for a nice steak and fun atmosphere for steaks, I'd pick Gibsons or for a nice steak with outdoor dining on the Chicago River, I'd pick Erie Cafe.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

Just to pull it together for the poster, if you go to Hugo's you can also use Gibson's menu and vice versa.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
229 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

Many thx for all of the other choices to consider.

Hudson
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildfire or Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab?

Recommend Joe's or Gene & Georgetti...G&G especially if you are looking for an "old school" Chicago steakhouse experience