We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago or Washington DC

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago or Washington DC

Never been to the states before, coming from the uk for a short 4 night break, was wonder what's the best city to explore, any advise would be great thanks

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

When you coming? You don't want to be in Chicago in the winter. But honestly for a 4 day trip, I would choose DC anyway--the ride is shorter and DC is a nice gateway to the states as all the musuems are free and you can learn how we beat up your ancestors to creat the great USA!

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

LOL, we are going in April

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

Is all of Washington safe?

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

Oh I try always to get to DC in April for the Cherry Blossom Festival. They are unique and very beautiful and simply should not be missed! www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,931 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

Apples and oranges. It depends on your interests. Both cities are great destinations on their own merits. Take a look at the TA pages on each city.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

CHICAGO !! I have never been to DC and no it is not ALL safe. From what I have read; don't miss a visit to the Georgetown area and stay out of NE and SE parts of the city. Just forget DC and come up to Chi-Town !

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

I love when people have never been somewhere, but give advice about it. Earth to Racso: NOT ALL OF CHICAGO IS SAFE.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,122 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

The people in Chicago will say Chicago

The people in Washington DC will say Washington DC

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

As an "impartial" tourist, I'll say DC...and this from someone who loves going to Chicago. But the museums are so numerous and so varied in DC...plus the chance at the cherry blossoms in April - and it's all free.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago or Washington DC

SS, did you read my post?