I am coming to Chicago from the 12th - 17th August with a friend (we are both mid-20s girls) and neither of us have visited before. We're going to be staying at the HI Hostel downtown.
I have a few quick questions that I'd really appreciate some input into (I'll just list them below so it's easier):
- What is the weather like at the moment - still super hot? We're coming from Vancouver where it's reasonably mild, so just wondering what sort of clothes we should bring. Would a rain jacket be advisable? Looks like you get some epic thunder storms there - is this mostly at night, or during the day too? Does it cool off in the evenings?
- can you buy a daily pass for the el, how much does it cost and where do you buy it from? just wondering if it's worth buying this if we're likely to be catching the train maybe once or twice a day? can you use this on any other forms of transport?
- We have some loose ideas about things we want to do, but wondering if you can supplement our itinerary:
- Planning on going to a White Sox game (would have loved to go to Wrigley Field but Cubs are away that week, I believe),
- to Afternoon tea at the Drake Hotel,
- some sort of cruise on the lake (can anyone recommend any particular cruise company?),
- obviously millenium park and to see cloud gate,
- would like to see a show of some sort - have heard that Peter Pan is showing and is very good at the moment? Are there any other 'amazing' shows (theatre) on that we might not have heard about?
- Sears tower or the John Hancock Centre (does anyone recommend one over the other, or are both equally worth seeing?)
- some shopping along millenium mile.
- Navy Pier - is this a worthwhile stop for adults?
- would be interested in seeing some live music - any kind!
So as you can see our interests are pretty varied and we'd love to hear if anyone has any suggestions that might fit with the activities we already have planned. We're both from New Zealand (currently living in Vancouver) so we'd be up for anything that is typically American/Chicagoan :)
Looking forward to hearing any suggestions!
Thanks so much :)
PS our itinerary might sound optimistic - but we're happy to be on the go... Would rather be recovering on someone else's time than taking it easy and not making the most of our trip :)