We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from downtown to the BMW Golf at Cog Hill

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from downtown to the BMW Golf at Cog Hill

Apologies if this question should be in the Lemont forum, but I'd like to attend the BMW Golf at Cog Hill in a few weeks.

I didn't realise when I booked my downtown hotel (after researching it on Tripadvisor) that trains didn't run to Lemont at convenient times.

I can't really hire a car just to park it at a golf course for six hours.

Do the local experts know of any buses or other ways to get to Cog Hill from any train stations or other places I can get to.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,475 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from downtown to the BMW Golf at Cog Hill

There's no bus service from downtown to Lemont. Is the main reason for your visit to see the tournament? If so, hire a car at the airport and stay at a hotel in a suburb near Lemont. If you must stay downtown, your only options are to hire a car for the day or take Metra + taxi to the tournament.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from downtown to the BMW Golf at Cog Hill

I think your best bet is to rent a car if you are staying in Chicago.

The Heritage Corridor is the train line that serves Lemont. There are only three trains from Lemont to Chicago (all early in the morning), and three trains from Chicago to Lemont (all in the evening). The only Lemont bus service that I can see is "Dial A Ride" for residents.

You could take a BNSF train west to Hinsdale and get a cab - there are probably cabs waiting at the station, but you may have to call one to return from Cog Hill.

There are several motels in Willowbrook, which is about a fifteen minute drive from Cog Hill.

The tournament is sponsored by a car company!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from downtown to the BMW Golf at Cog Hill

You will need a car in Lemont. It is a bedroom suburb; not Chicago. Train service is scheduled for commuters. There is no public transportation infrastructure in Lemont. You're going to have to bite the proverbial bullet and rent a car.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from downtown to the BMW Golf at Cog Hill

Thanks for the responses. It seems my options are limited.

I have a Plan B that I won't decide to put into operation until I actually arrive in Chicago on the 13th.

I also hope to do some cycling along the lakeside track while I'm in the City. Maybe I'll see some tripadvisor experts on their bicycles during that time.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from downtown to the BMW Golf at Cog Hill

Jim, Lemont might not have great public transportation, but there are some wonderful bike trails along the I & M Canal and the Des Plaines River. Nice views and very few other people, which is a surprise considering how close it is to Chicago.

6. Re: Transport from downtown to the BMW Golf at Cog Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 11:18