We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations: Hard Rock vs. Omni

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
284 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodations: Hard Rock vs. Omni

I had booked the Omni Hotel because I wanted a suite (traveling with a small child). Thanks to trip advisor and a travel ticker special, it looks like I can get a suite at the Hard Rock for $30 less.

We're only in the city for one night (2 full days of sight seeing, taking the train in from the burbs in the morning with an evening flight the following day), and I anticipate our itinerary will include Lincoln Park or the Shedd Aquarium and an architectural boat tour (weather permitting). I'm open to recommendations on other things to do, also. On a previous trip we've visited Navy Pier, John Hancock and Millenium Park.

So I am wondering 1) if you have an opinion between the two hotels based on location. Should probably also take into consideration ease of picking up bags stored since check out to take the train to the airport also. And 2) if you have other favorite activities to do with a 4 year old.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations: Hard Rock vs. Omni

Right now, take Hard Rock. The Ritz Carlton Condominium building in under construction next to the Omni (30 feet away) and you may have, no make that will have, problems with construction noise. Have you looked at the other Suites hotels: Embassy, Homewood, Hilton Garden...?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,996 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations: Hard Rock vs. Omni

Agree with SS - Hard Rock is a short walk to the Clark/Lake or State/Lake train stations to either airport. Did you also check Comfort Suites on Michigan Ave?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations: Hard Rock vs. Omni

Childrens museum at navy pier and the nature museum which is near lincoln park zoo

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations: Hard Rock vs. Omni

Our niece likes the Lego and candy stores in the Nordstrom Mall. The Nature Museum is nice. There is a playground for little kids just east of the Water Tower. The construction next to Omni is almost done with the outside and should not be too loud anymore. It is a more family oriented place than the Hard Rock as you probably have guessed.

http://chicagovisitor.net/Sights.html

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations: Hard Rock vs. Omni

Architecture boat tour is not a good choice with a little one. Try a walking tour - where, if someone's not happy, you can leave easily, but on the boat, you're trapped.

I second/third the zoo and nature museum, and the Children's Museum!

chicago
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodations: Hard Rock vs. Omni

I agree the architecture boat tour is not appropriate for a 4 year old, try out the water taxi instead

7. Re: Accommodations: Hard Rock vs. Omni

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 20:19