We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone has nice suggestions for some nice photo spots for some skyline pics besides the usual navy pier, planetarium, sears, hancock ones.

Maybe with a bit old industrial flair.

I have a car and a navigation system, just let me know, where to go.

thx!

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

Promotory Point and South Shore Country Club.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,317 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

Many options here - wikitravel.org/en/Chicago_skyline_guide#b

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

nice - thx for the fast replies!

Any of those a rather no-go spot at night?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

My favorite is the view looking south from Montrose Harbor, as shown in the Wikitravel link provided by Dave. Take Lake Shore Drive north, exit at Montrose. Go east (turn right) into the park, and drive out onto the "pennisula". You can park there, and take photos facing south (towards downtown). It's lovely.

I also like the view (this time facing north) from U.S. Cellular Field (the stadium at which the Chicago White Sox play)(also noted in the Wikitravel link), but the problem is that the view is not near as good from "ground level". The view is best from the ramps to the stadium, which you can't access at this time of year. (Baseball season is over.)

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for with "industrial flair": there are certainly old industrial areas of the city, but I can't think of any that would also give you a view of the skyline.

Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

I love the view from about 53rd st on Lake Shore Drive looking north. I would avoid it late night but just as good.For an industrial look try from Halsted Street and Chicago ave. The view looking south from Lincoln Park Zoo is ok too. Try getting into some tall buildings to take some pics from higher standpoint. I wish they would build afew more skyscrapers further north and south to expand our skyline .

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

I second the ideas mentioned of Promontory Point on the south side, and the park beyond Montrose Harbor on the north. You might also try south Michigan Avenue from the park starting from Roosevelt Road to get the curtain wall of buildings, one of our notable architecture groupings. You can get some interesting views along the riverwalk that include historic bridges and more skyscapers.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

so many hints - thank you folks!

with industrial I ment a nice industrial foreground landmark and the skyline in the back.

I was driving along the halsted area myself, although the view towards the skyline is just not that great there...

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

I wouldn't go to Promotory Point at night. South Shore Country Club would be closed at night.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

" view from about 53rd st on Lake Shore Drive looking north"

I like this view also, and always think I should take a picture but I'm not sure where to get off as you can't stop on Lakeshore.

Maine
Level Contributor
335 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago skyline spots - besides the usual ones

For good industrial views, go to the area around Chinatown and just to the west. The intersection of Cermak and Canal and thereabouts. There are lots of old warehouses and iron cantilever bridges and since they're along the river you can get good views of the skyline behind.