We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My mini trip report

san francisco
Level Contributor
813 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
My mini trip report

first thank you to Chicago experts for the great advice !

O'Hare to hotel - blue line $2.25 one way 40 mins to Clark/lake the vending machine does not give change , at least the one we used so $5 got us our round trip fare very easy to use to get to our hotel

hotel 71 was great ideal location definitely would recommend it

places we ate at - breakfast twice at Eggspecialitys good food to keep you full while you're walking for a few hours great service also loved the corn beef hash :)

we ate late so we would just have coffee in between till dinner

dinner we ate at Rock it grill good portions and nice place

we ate at Quartinos I loved this place delicious Italian food although it's rather noisy !

Gold coast dogs for a Chicago dog

fanny May and macys for mint meltaways

walked up and down magnificent mile looking at the shops

took chicago line architectural river cruise this is a must do in chicago amazing view of all the fabulous architecture informative and relaxing going along the water seeing the sights

millenium park to stroll enjoyed the auditorium structure and of course the Bean took lots of great photos there

art institute was great also dont miss the thorne miniature rooms they are incredible its a beautiful museum be sure to go

most of our time was walking around looking up at the buildings chicago is a beautiful city and i really enjoyed my brief visit People are so genuine , helpful and friendly  we were lucky with the weather also but took warm coats just in case im so glad i came to chicago and for all the first time visitors i assure you will love it !

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My mini trip report

Thanks giantgrl!

loved the report! we are going for thanksgiving weekend...

how long did you stay in chicago?... just to give me a sort of timeline, and see how long it took you to do everything...

I was so looking forward tot he river cruise... but from what i see, they don't operate in late November... someone told me its because the river freezes!

I love love cold weather... so i can't wait!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,805 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My mini trip report

the river won't be frozen in nov...maybe by jan it'll be frozen.... they probably stop the cruises because it's just plain cccccold!

san francisco
Level Contributor
813 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My mini trip report

Hi there we arrived Sunday at 1pm the blue line took 40 mins to our stop

we left tuesday night on a 7.30 pm flight back to SF by the way if you take blue line back to O' Hare the train was a little crowded as people were leaving work going home but it emptied out half way there

so as you see we did quite a bit in a short time let me know if I can answer any more questions you will love Chicago

we did the chicago on line architectural river cruise - $ 38 our hotel made the reservation for us we gave them a $14 deposit paid the rest when we got to the ticket office

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My mini trip report

Thanks for your report, giantsgrl. I'm glad you had fun!

Come back soon.

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My mini trip report

Thanks for the info Giantsgrl!

I usually cover a lot of ground as well, but this time im going with my mom , and she has arthritis... so i think we'll have to go a bit slower... we'll take metro & bus & the occasional taxi.

Thanks!!

Yesi

6. Re: My mini trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 08:24