We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

Hello TA!!

appologize in advance, as i know there's a lot of talk about steakhouses, im sure!

I've read reviews, here and chowhound, blog... etc

there are mixed reviews for both steakhouses...

I need help deciding!! please

here's what I have so far for thanksgiving menu's:

Primehouse:

no regular menu

(although you can "upgrade" from turkey to ribeye (40 day aged for $38 additional... ) making the total: $83 dollars and $45 with just turkey but we want steak.

Chicago cut:

$49 thanksgiving menu not as exciting, but we can order from the regular menu. (ie: ribeye $48)

bottom line is I want amazing red meat! :)

ambiance & service... steaks cooked to order, no steaks with lots of fat... (i don't mean marbling)

any ideas, help??

ive read chicago cut has great service, but also read the steaks are not up to par with David Burk's

or... any other steakhouse gem?

Thanks again,

Yesi

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

The best steakhouse in Chicago is of course a subject of some controversy, and everyone has their own opinion. I haven't been to either David Burkes or Chicago Cut, largely b/c my favorite is Keefer's. I don't know if Keefer's is open on Thanksgiving, though.

FWIW, don't rely on the restaurant reviews for Chicago here on TA. In addition to chowhound, you might look at Yelp.com, which is where many locals post their reviews.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

Thanks Alison!

With that high price tag, it's a very expensive mistake if I choose the wrong one

I'll look at yelp and the restaurant you mentioned.

Thanks again

Yesi

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

I don't rely on Yelp. 10 pages of David Burkes reviews here - http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7681&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=david+burke%27s

Chicago Cut - http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30921&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=chicago+cut

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

These days I highly recommend Michael Jordan's Steakhouse in the Interconti. Very good food, great vibe, conversation friendly and no "airs", extremely good and friendly service. It beats both above and is the same price if you stick to steak and a couple of sides. Bar is also good downstairs.

ZB

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

Oh yes, Yelp. I would not really depend on Yelp. Zagat is fairly dependable, but sometimes a bit out of date. Chicago Magazine is mostly true with some exceptions. Chicago Reader is good for bargain places and popular ones. When it comes right down to it, even the Michelin star rated or recommended ones are subject to a lot of hometown disagreement. Chicago is restaurant heaven. There are so many choices and what is hot one month is cold the next but it does not mean that it is still not good.

ZB

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

In general, I think people tend to post reviews when they either love or hate a place: if they have a fair to good experience, they don't post as much. I agree that Yelp is only one option for reviews, and it of course has its weaknesses. Dave is right that lthforum is also a good option. However, I still think that if one wants the current opinion of the "man on the street" in Chicago, Yelp is a decent indicator.

Most importantly, though, zabrinskibound is 100% correct that Chicago is restaurant heaven. You are very unlikely to have a bad experience at any of the steakhouses, so don't fret too much about making your decision!

Edited: 28 October 2011, 13:46
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

Thanks everyone!

I love steak... but don't order it often, because im so picky, and im affraid i'll get a steak full of fat around it... or just not good... and im really looking into a superb "cut" ... i don't want to get taken if that makes sense...

i do like that David Burke's thanksgiving menu has turkey confit!... we are not looking for "traditional" ... we thought of 1 adult getting the turkey and the other upgrading to the steak and duing our own "tasting" of both... my son will get the kids thanksgiving menu.

I did call Chicago cut with a question, and i was very impressed with how patient the person on the phone was and very nice and polite... that wins me over every time... i love to feel like i matter to them... however, chicago cut does not have such an interesting thanksgiving menu... its much more traditional than David Burke's... and that's my dilema!

I will be "studying" the reviews from LTH forum...

Thats the problem with Chicago... too much good Food!!! you guys make it really hard for visitors! :)

thanks again!

Yesi

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

Chicago Cut most definately.

Chicago owned, just named one of the best new restaurants 2011 by Esquire Magazine

If I don't leave town, I'll have Thanksgiving there myself!

9. Re: David Burkes Primehouse or Chicago Cut?? Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 04:18