We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union Station Parking Advice Needed

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
539 reviews
Save Topic
Union Station Parking Advice Needed

I took a train trip in early 2010 from Union ,Station and am going to reprise it next February. I am excited BUT fear the parking situation. I found spot in the official parking garage last time but had to circle around until I was almost on the roof. My question is, what do you do if the garage is full and there are no spaces? I will be going to Fresno and will be gone for 8 nights that the car needs to be parked. Has anyone ever had this problem themselves? It will be on Valentines Day so will that add to the woes (not the massacre)? My train leaves at 2:00 PM. Advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

Union Station Garage is only $20 per 24 hours. Not only is it the most convenient garage, it is the cheapest for long term parking and has camera security and an attendent. Other parking situations will add time, parking cost and cost of a taxi. You don't say where you live in Ohio but Amtrak has 2 trains serving your state. Can you hop one of them into Chicago and leave your car at home? You will want to be checked in by 1:pm for a 2pm train... so get here early, park, have a nice lunch and relax. I think that you are projecting a bad situation three months too early. You won't know if the garage is full or not until you get here and try to park. So what if you park on the roof? No one on the street can throw stones at your parked car up there.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

Sliphorn, it sounds like you are worried that you will drive here and not find any spots in the Union Station garage, correct?

I rarely park my car downtown, and have never parked in the Union Station lot, so have no idea whether it ever fills up totally. I would think that a last-ditch fallback could be the Millenium Park garage, from which you would need to take a taxi to Union Station. Just a thought.

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

I appreciate all the help. I prefer to park at the Union Station garage and am mainly concerned that the garage will be filled up and what to do if it does. I have only done this train trip once before and succeeded but found the garage pretty full. Since I will be gone for eight days to Fresno and a conference, I need to feel secure about the car that will be sitting for a long time. Thanks.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

If you are driving in on the Indiana Toll Road, you could park at the South Bend Airport, take the South Shore Line to Millenium Park Station, and cab it to Union Station.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,723 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

On your way driving in, call the garage to check space availability. 312-786-0111. I highly doubt the lot will be filled.

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

Thank you for your reassuring message. You are undoubtedly correct. I live by Murphy's Law and envision getting there in a snowstorm that has me running it close and THEN seeing the parking issue. I hope things run smoothly.

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

Good idea. I will research this online.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

There's a current thread going about what size luggage is allowed on the South Shore. Take a look at it in case you are bringing large bags.

As Dave says, you could call to check, and if it's full you could head to Millenium Park garage and take a cab from there.

9. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 December 2011, 16:35
10. Re: Union Station Parking Advice Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 10:20