We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov 20th Shopping Trip

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lambertville, MI
Level Contributor
434 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Nov 20th Shopping Trip

My daughter (24) and I are coming in Sunday at noon, driving from Toledo, Ohio area and staying until Monday evening to do some Christmas shopping. The list of hotels is overwhelming. I have checked hotwire, expedia, etc. And like I said, overwhelming. Any suggestion on the Mag. Mile, or near it. We are thinking of eating at Cheesecake Factory and Mortons. Any good nightlife on a Sunday night? Thanks in advance to everyone.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

I like sofitel

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

All of the downtown hotels are a safe bet. Choose one that is within your price range and has the amenities that you look for in a hotel. Generally speaking, the hotels on North Michigan Avenue are a bit closer to the heart of the shopping area and the Cheesecake Factory. Despite that being the case, the South Michigan Avenue hotels are near Millennium Park, The Art Institute and several other touristy type things. There are also an abundance of hotels not on Michigan Avenue but quite near the action. Regardless, walking from North to South or vice versa isn't difficult unless one of you has a mobility issue.

There's good nightlife every night of the week! You could start with the following websites and branch out from there:

chicago.metromix.com

chireader.com

chicagomag.com

Have a great trip!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,534 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

You'll need to budget some $$ for parking here. If you stay up on the Mag Mile - www.shop900.com/visitors/parking_directions/

Lambertville, MI
Level Contributor
434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions.

Hudson
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

Dave148 posted current Hotel Deals. The Tremont is an excellent

option at a great rate. It is located on Chestnut just a block off of the northern end of Michigan Ave.

The Sofitel is another excellent option.

Tempo Cafe is a great choice for breakfast near the Sofitel

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

Lucky you! All those "available" hotels mean that room rates are among the cheapest of the season. You have a number of choices under $100 - of course, the extras include $40 parking fees and high taxes.

Are you shopping primarily on North Michigan Avenue (high-end) or State Street (more budget oriented) or both? If the answer is NMA, grab something right along Michigan Avenue - the Westin and the Intercontinental are both under $100 and just steps from great shopping.

If you are headed toward State Street or want to see both areas, stay between Michigan Avenue and State Street near the river. Some good choices at execeptional rates via hotels.com: Homewood Suites (two rooms, free breakfast) Amalfi (free bf and wine reception, nice boutique hotel) Monaco (trendy, great location) etc.

Edited: 11 November 2011, 16:39
pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

Hampton Inn Majestic and the Silversmith are also good choices within a short walk of State Street stores. An advantage to this area is the less-expensive public parking a few blocks away at Millennium Garages east of Michigan Avenue. www.millenniumgarages.com

On North Michigan Avenue, the Tremont and Whitehall are also good choices in the traditional style, quieter and smaller than the chain hotels. Hotels along DeWitt Place or St. Clair (one block east of Michigan Ave.) are also close to shopping and would work well. You can use the map feature on this site or hotels.com to help sort things out.

Edited: 11 November 2011, 17:08
Lambertville, MI
Level Contributor
434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

Thank you all, such great suggestions. And so many choices. Yes, the rates are looking good for that weekend.

Lambertville, MI
Level Contributor
434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

Well, because of my daughter's work schedule. We had to change our dates to Nov 27 and 28 which means much more $$ for a hotel. I have tentatively booked the Ohio House Hotel with a King Bed/non smoking for 139.00 but free parking. It looks very dated but we don't plan on being in there except for sleeping and a place to park. And how sweet is free parking.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nov 20th Shopping Trip

I would not stay there, the doors are on the outside, best western river north also has free parking and its much better