We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving From Chicago To Las Vegas in Mid-March

DeKalb, Illinois...
1 post
Save Topic
Driving From Chicago To Las Vegas in Mid-March

Hi! So, me and a couple friends were going to take my 2007 ford focus and drive from Chicago to Las Vegas. I am worried about weather conditions and driving during mid-march since this is supposedly the worst winter ever. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or could tell me what kind of weather/conditions to expect on this road trip?

Chicago Architecture River Cruise
2,435 reviews
from US$43.68*
Chicago Crime and Mob Bus Tour
398 reviews
from US$37.95*
Skydeck Chicago Admission
580 reviews
from US$24.00*
Chicago Explorer Pass
166 reviews
from US$75.00*
chicago
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving From Chicago To Las Vegas in Mid-March

The worst winter ever? Ummm have you been outside?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving From Chicago To Las Vegas in Mid-March

You're asking us to forecast the weather??

If you're from Dekalb, then you should be comfortable driving on snow covered roads you get from time to time. Just make sure the vehicle is prepared for the long drive out and back.

3. Re: Driving From Chicago To Las Vegas in Mid-March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2012, 15:35
Edited: 10 January 2012, 15:35
Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving From Chicago To Las Vegas in Mid-March

You have a couple of choices actually. A quick look at the map would make it seem logical to take I-80 to I-76 to I-70 thru Vail Pass, to I-15 and down into LV. If you take this route then you should be concerned because of the higher altitude snow storms in March are common place in Vail Pass which often requires tire chains or the pass can be closed to traffic.

I'd look at the southern route which somewhat follows the old Route 66. Take I-55 south to I-44 to I-40 to US 93. I've not been on 93 but I think its the road that towers over the Hoover Dam as you approach Vegas. This southern route is probably a couple hundred miles longer but safer that time of year.

So you have to ask yourself, Am I feeling lucky?

Sorry SS took me a while to post and you beat me to the southern route rec.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 15:13
Chicago
Level Contributor
7,367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving From Chicago To Las Vegas in Mid-March

You might also try posting in the Road Trip forum. It appears you are new to TA, so click on Forums, you will see a list of forums saying things like Train Trips, Solo Travel, etc. Click on See All and you will see a drop-down list with Road Trips in it.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 15:47
6. Re: Driving From Chicago To Las Vegas in Mid-March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2013, 10:20