We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

My 23 year old son has found his first "real" post-college job in Chicago. We are all very excited for him. We will be coming into Chicago January 26 - 29 to look for apartments. I want this trip to be extra special as he has never been to Chicago.

Recommended place to stay?

Couple of must do's?

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

Places to stay depends on your budget. The Wit is a trendy young hotel that is not too expensive on most weekends. Otherwise look for places in the River North area.

Chicago has some great museums like the Art Institute and Field Museum. A great aquarium. Michigan Ave to window shop. A drink on the 96th floor of the Hancock Building.

http://chicagovisitor.net/

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

Work with an apartment finder service. You're not here that long. Focus on getting a place to stay, not doing tourist activities.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

Clarification-When I said place to stay, I meant the apartment for your son.

Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

DGB312... Budget would be $200 or less per night. Thanks for the tips!

RickMP... Obviously finding an apartment is the primary focus of our trip. That said, I would like a nice hotel to stay in that shows him the "best" of Chicago.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,487 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

A hotel in the Mag Mile or River North area is best from a visitor's perspective. Many options to choose from. Check the reviews in the Chicago Hotels section of TA. Play with your dates using www.hotels.com or similar sites. Hotel rates here run all over the place as Chicago is also a convention destination.

www.explorechicago.org and www.choosechicago.com for ideas of what to see/do here.

www.chicagoreader.com and www.chicagomag.com for dining and entertainment options.

Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

Thank you, Dave148. I was thinking the Mag Mile area might be a good choice. I really want to introduce him to Chicago in a positive manner!

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

I would stay right smack in the Loop (Burnham, Silversmith, Monaco, Comfort Inn on Michigan, etc.) since you'll probably be visiting a lot of different areas, and this is where the train lines converge. Access to public transportation is very important if he will be working anywhere near downtown - a car is a huge expense for someone starting out.

Start by getting to know the neighborhoods and learning about the train/El/subway lines, majot bus routes, and express buses that run along the lakefront.

The south Loop has some affordable rentals; West Loop/Greektown and Bucktown/Wicker Park are also popular and close to the El train. See www.hotpads.com, www.chicagoreader.com for listings and www.transitchicago.com to get directions.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,096 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

Stay in the Loop or River North/ Mag mile. Other than a good apartment finder service you should start you visit with a Chicago Greeter who can explain the neighborhoods to you and give you an overview of the City. Once your son is ensconced and gets to know the city, he will probably move to a neighborhood of his liking, so sign a short term lease to get him started. Use the elevated an subways to get around.

Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

Wow! Thank you, pgo! These are all GREAT suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to post...

Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My 23 year old son moving to Chicago... visiting Jan 26-29.

shallow_shoals... Thanks for posting! I certainly realize this is not an appropriate forum for real estate per se, BUT I truly appreciate the Chicago Greeter suggestion.