We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

green mill / el

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
green mill / el

what would you consider to be the "cutoff time" for taking the el back to downtown after visiting the green mill. I've read it's best to hail a cab when it's gets late..but how about a trip back on the el around 8 or 9pm...

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
660 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: green mill / el

Back on the el about 8 or 9 should be OK. Anything past 10pm on weekdays and midnight on weekends (when it is less populated on the train) you probably want to take a cab back.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,055 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: green mill / el

And it depends on your alcohol intake as well. The more drinks you have, the earlier the "cut off" time should be and your best bet is to summon a cab.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,132 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: green mill / el

Yes, it would depend on the dulling of your street smarts. I ve not left later than 10pm and have had no problem on the L. If youre swako by 8pm then you should have left by 7pm.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 15:06
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: green mill / el

Thanks for the info. Although I do intend to throw back a couple, I think I will give the el a try on the way back.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: green mill / el

I've frequently caught the red line EL late at night with friends returning home waaaaay late at night. So I think this mostly has to do with your comfort zone. (I'm female BTW)

Also I'm intrigued by your post as when I've visited the Green Mill in the past their doors haven't even opened until 8pm. I see metromix lists them as being open from noon, but that hasn't been my experience in the past.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: green mill / el

They have a great happy hour on Fridays from 5 to 8pm...Hammond B3 organist Chris Foreman perfoms on organ ; jazz standards, blues, couple requests, etc. Always a good time.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 13:44
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: green mill / el

Make sure you have enough money on your CTA card for a round trip so that you aren't fumbling around with cash after tossing back a few. Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. I'm female and take the el all the time since I don't have a car but if I feel like it is too late or something seems hinky - I grab a cab.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: green mill / el

i always buy a cta 3 day pass when i come up on fridays and stay for the weekend (my nephew lets me crash at his place near depaul)...works out great. Always an adventure on the red line regardless of time of day...lol

ottawa
Level Contributor
196 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: green mill / el

My husband and I will be in town in a couple of weeks and intend on going to the Green Mill on Saturday night, taking the Red Line going and returning (around midnight) to our hotel in River North. I've ridden subways this late in Montreal, Toronto, Glasgow and London without a problem...it seems fine in Chicago based on these posts?

Just in case - what would be the estimated cab fare from the Green Mill to the River North neighbourhood?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
632 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: green mill / el

My strong advice is to take a taxi. Period. Cost would be somewhere around $15 to $20. Part of the issue is just getting to the el. The Green Mill area is OK during daylight, but later at night you are playing the odds, especially for someone from out of town. This is NOT Canada or England, here people sometimes have guns.

ZB