We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
397 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

I grew up near Chicago and still live in IL, probably going to the city on average once a year. Having said that, I've done most of the major things there: Michigan Ave, State St, Navy Pier, John Hancock, Shedd, the planetarium, the Field Museum, art museum, and Science and Industry.

My husband and I are going for a weekend in late March for my birthday, and I was wanting to find some other, different things to do for 1.5 days. We do plan on going to an 11 PM show at Second City, but otherwise, have no plans. We're staying at the Dana Hotel but are fine with taking a cab or walking (we will have a car but driving and parking in Chicago is a royal pain).

Any neat neighborhoods, shops, or restaurants?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,469 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

Cruise around - explorechicago.org/city/en/supporting_narrat… - lots of neighborhood options to choose from.

Check the calendar at www.explorechicago.org and www.choosechicago.com to see what's going on here during your visit.

Besides cabs - CTA buses and trains will get you just about anywhere you'll want to go. http://www.transitchicago.com/

Edited: 07 March 2012, 02:11
Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
548 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

Check and see if you can view the stained glass windows at the Quigley seminary at rush and Pearson streets.

They often do concert or short our on Saturday early afternoon . These windows are considered the best outside of gChartres France

How about a couple hours at the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago campus

The rookery building often visited by some of the architectural foundation walking tours.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,821 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

Take the red line to Chinatown. Have lunch then spend the afternoon shopping.

chicago
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

Tour the Botanic Garden, Garfield Park Conservatory or Lincoln Park zoo and the Nature museum.

I forget which, or maybe both, but have drinks at the top of the Hancock or Sears Tower (whatever it is called now) or similar highrise location.

Happy birthday early!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

Go see a show at Old Town School of Music and hang out in Lincoln Square for a while. Great restaurants (French, German, Greek, Mexican, Thai, Sushi), fun bars (check out the Tiny Lounge for upscale cocktails), and easy to get to via the Brown Line. Taking a cab back to your hotel will run you about $20 - $25.

http://www.lincolnsquare.org/

http://www.oldtownschool.org/concerts/2012/3/

Edited: 07 March 2012, 14:54
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

I say pick out some great restaurants that will be memorable and aren't something you can find back home.

Take a tour of Wrigley?

Garfield Park Conservatory is amazing.

Maybe think about doing something different like a wine tasting or a 2-hour class of some kind? Probably can match your interests with a quick search here or on google.

Go have cocktails at the signature room at the top of the Hancock. It's free to get up there and the view is the best.

What are your interests and maybe we can tailor our answers more specifically for you.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,821 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

chicagonow.com/2012/…

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

Re: HappiTraveler's post:

Gee that $20 Chocolate Milkshake at The Weiner's Circle sounds good....

(Just saw a vid about it...wooo)

Edited: 18 March 2012, 19:48
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

Put on some good walking shoes and start walking north on Clark Street until you reach Wrigley Field, about 3 miles.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for "non-touristy" activities?

Send your husband over to Michigan Ave to buy you a BD present while you luxuriate in the spa at Dana.