We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

I'm flying into Chicago O Hare and going to Grand Geneva Resort. The shuttle from the airport seems very expensive. I am not a driver so is there a way of getting there using public transport and keeping costs down? Thanks

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,093 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

You've posted the same question before - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k511160…

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

The only other possibility I can think of is whether you could talk to the hotel about whether a cab could pick you up at the Harvard Metra station (Metra is the commuter rail system here) or where the Coach bus that runs between O'Hare and Mitchell Field in Milwaukee stops in Kenosha, which I believe is the parking lot of the Brat Stop on Route 50 (at least that's where it was before). No idea how much that would cost, you would have to research that, the Coach bus to Kenosha would probably be about $10-20 I am guessing.

If you are traveling with a group, or with some other people who will already be there or that you are meeting there, maybe one of them could meet you at one of the above spots. It doesn't look like the Grand Geneva has any kind of shuttle pickup at the Harvard station.

Obviously you would have to get to the Metra station if that was the option. The bus would pick you up at the airport transportation center.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

We already answered this in January. Nothing has changed.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

Thanks for your reply. I should have put in my original post that I don't drive. Thanks for all your forum contributions

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

Thanks again for the detailed reply. I'm going to get the bus to Harvard metro station. Thanks again

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

I think there might be a misunderstanding here. Harvard is a Metra (not metro) commuter rail station. I don't think you can take a bus there. You would have to take a CTA train from O'Hare to downtown, walk to Ogilvie Station, and then take the Metra Union Pacific Northwest line to Harvard. Form there, you are 20 miles from Lake Geneva, and would have to arrange your own transporation in advance.

You could also take the Metra North Central Line from O'Hare Transfer to Antioch, which is also 20 miles from Lake Geneva. However, those trains run infrequently. Again, you'd have to arrrange your own transportation to Lake Geneva from Antioch in advance.

Finally, you could take CTA downtown, walk to Union Station, take the Metra Milwaukee District North Line to Fox Lake (also 20 miles from Lake Geneva).

CTA information at transitchicago.com

Metra at metrarail.com

For taxi information, call 303taxi or American taxi and see if they can help.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,093 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

We gave you complete details in your original post in January. Going downtown to get back out to Grand Geneva is not a practical option. There isn't a bus between ORD and Harvard.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 13:31
Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

You could cost out shuttles from ORD to MKE, the Milwaukee Airport, and then another bus from MKE to Geneva, and see it it is cheaper.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60022-i425-k38122…

Also, post your question on the Wisconsin forum.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 13:52
Chicago
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

Actually you wouldn't have to go downtown to get the Metra to Harvard, just go to Jefferson Park on the Blue Line and then walk over to the adjoining Metra station there.

If you google Lake Geneva tourist office, which I did last night, there is at least one taxi service and one car service listed there. Try contacting them about pickup at the Metra station. I don't have time to go back and find the URL's right now. Have to run.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest way to get to Grand Geneva Resort

I looked at the shuttle from Milwaukee airport to Grand Geneva yesterday, and it's a little over $80, plus the cost of the bus to Milwaukee in the first place, so not sure it's really worth the relatively small savings given all the time spent going to Milwaukee and then back.

To clarify the Metra post, OP, as previously stated you cannot take a bus to the Harvard Metra station. You would need to take the Blue LIne towards downtown to Jefferson Park, then walk over to the adjoining Metra station towards Harvard. As Rick posted, the other option is to take the North Central line to Antioch. In both cases you would have to arrange pickup. Whether either of those works for you depends on when you are arriving, and the direct link to the schedules is http://www.metrarail.com

The Coach bus runs between O'Hare and Milwaukee with a stop in Kenosha, that was the bus I referred to.