We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Girl best time of year to go?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
American Girl best time of year to go?

I am planning a trip to Chicago with my daughter and mother for a girl's weekend of American Girl shopping. Does anyone know what time of year American Girl is least crowded? Thanks.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Girl best time of year to go?

Although admittedly no expert on the topic of American Girl, I would think that November and December would be crowded and Summer may be crowded due to kids having the time off school.

There's probably always people in there, but I would guess that the off-season would be Jan-early April and maybe late Sept/October.

Again, no expert - just my best guess.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Girl best time of year to go?

First time we went to American Girl was in January 5 years ago and we had the place to ourselves. However, have been back MANY times since then-January, November, October, April, July and it has always been crowded-but not horribly. I think it's one of those places now that is always busy. If you're looking to do the tea or show just see when you can get reservations and don't worry about the crowd-it's manageable as long as you're not going between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is truly a great shopping experience-the employees know the meaning of customer service-I have never left there upset with the service I have received and I am not a big spender, just another Mom taking her kids to spend their allowances.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: American Girl best time of year to go?

Thank you librarychick. Where do you stay when you go? I am thinking of booking a room at the Four Points Sheraton. Any advice? Thanks.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,534 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Girl best time of year to go?

Four Points is a good choice. Read the hotel reviews on this site.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Girl best time of year to go?

We're close enough that we always just go down for the day, usually take the train in. I'm sure the Sheraton would be nice. The only time I've ever stayed overnight was a few years back for a bachelorette party. We stayed at the House of Blues which was nice but pretty expensive and some other friends stayed at the Westin which I think was also nice. DVD usually has some good recommendations-any suggestions DVD?

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Girl best time of year to go?

Depends on the date. The Four Points would be a fine choice, especially in terms of location. If you provide your date(s) of stay (and your desired budget per night for hotel), I would be more than happy to see what is available.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
175 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Girl best time of year to go?

I was just there this Saturday picking up a doll for my niece. Lots of girls and moms there. It was a bit much for me, but I don't have kids. It was cute to see the girls so excited about seeing all the dolls and their stuff.

Midwest
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Girl best time of year to go?

Just back from a week in Chicago, and I would guess that spring break week is busy, considering all the girls with American Girl dolls we saw on Michigan Avenue. Our third day there, my 11 year old started counting the kids she saw with American girl dolls, and she counted over fifty dolls that day alone!