We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We want to DANCE!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
We want to DANCE!

We are a couple of gals who simply want a great club with great house or techno tunes, upbeat crowd with very little pick-up agenda. Even if it's a gay bar (we are straight), we are just looking for great attitude and great dancing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We want to DANCE!

Maybe "Berlin", a popular gay dance bar near the corner of Belmont Ave. and Sheffield Ave. will work for you (almost under the Red line "El" tracks at the Belmont Ave. station). I was there with gay friend. The dancing and music was serious and straight gal friends in our group loved it. It's mostly gay, but with a sprinkling of straight people who enjoy the environment. I think it's open until 4 a.m. Monday > Friday and 5 a.m. on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

http://www.berlinchicago.com/

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: We want to DANCE!

For house or techno music, try Neo or Smart Bar, both Chicago mainstays that have been around for years. Don't expect anything in terms of glitz, but the music at both places is usually great. Dancers go to dance, not for any other reason. Another place you could try is "Big Chicks" on Sheridan and Argyle. It's a very laid-back gay bar but has good dance music on weekends (even though the dance floor is small). The music isn't "house" or "techno" but it's good and fun. Drinks are on the cheaper side too.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We want to DANCE!

I second the recommendations for Berlin and Smartbar. Soundbar (downtown on Ontario I believe) gets all the top name DJ's from around the world and the sound system there is spectacular. However it attracts a decidedly pretentious crowd and it's very expensive.

If you're avoiding the pick-up scene, stay away from Rush Street no matter what your concierge says. At the gay bars you probably won't have this problem. Along with Berlin, Hydrate is a fun place to dance - it's on Halsted and Newport - right in between the Belmont and Addison Red Line stations.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We want to DANCE!

Thanks for all the great advice. I also found metromix and some other great websites on Chicago scene through Google. They review all the dance clubs too. I appreciate the heads up and wish you all HAPPY DANCING!